Thread: Looking for some ideas...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Looking for some ideas...

I am in a cartography survey class in college and I have to do final thematic map, either grad circle, choropleth, or dynamic flow. My problem is that I cannot find or think of any data sets that would be intriguing to map. The map can be of basically anywhere. I would really just like to get some ideas if I could. I really want to map something that will set my map apart from the usual stuff everyone else map.

Don't know if this helps, but I just read a book called "The Selected Works of TS Spivet" by Reif Larsson. The story - a genius mapmaker from Montana who makes maps of everything (places, of course, but also maps of beetles, maps of relationships etc.; even the place maps usually include interesting variations). If you can find a copy and just browse through it, you might get some ideas.

Thanks a lot I'll check it out!

Tell us five subjects you're interested in, five your Prof is interested in :-), and five things your home or college city is known for. Even (especially!) if they don't seem very mappy. From that sort of seeds, I bet we can suggest some spatially distributed possibilities.

Are you limited to fact, or could you delve into fiction/ fantasy/ imagination? With the former you'll be stuck doing some research (which, given time, you could foist off on a student in some other discipline who needed an interesting project in other ways).

I am not confined to anything really. I can map anything, literally. Fictional, factual, medical, whatever. The problem is that I have been getting consistently high grades so I don't want to do something boring or cliche. The only rules are it has to be one of the 3 map types I mentioned and it has to come from some an outside source.

You can study in many book related to your requirement as TheHoarseWhisperer said you can do that it is a really good book. Hope it will work for you.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map