Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (WIP) Durvrön Niras

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Master Rahl372's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wirelizard View Post
    Looks great so far! As for not having access to a scanner, you can do some quite cool stuff with a carefully taken photograph and GIMP or PS. I use it regularly, but for much, much smaller maps than you 24x18 planned masterpiece! Might still be worth looking into; there is at least one tutorial here on the Guild on cleaning up photographs of maps to use as the basis for digital work.

Your Flickr link is coming up as a private image over on Flickr - you probably need to change settings on the image.

You also had an extra "http" in front of the Fantasy Name Generator link - neat page, got that bookmarked for my own use, as I often struggle to come up with interesting names for places and people!
    Actually since you mentioned it, I might fiddle with the map using GIMP. I'm going to have to take a much nicer picture though.
    I did fix my privacy settings on Flickr which I wondered if anyone could see it. Now it's available to the public.

Okay so it's been a while but I have the next update. This is the second to last step before my map will be done.
    All of the labels are done and all that's left are the climate types that I need to draw in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0104.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	4.68 MB 
ID:	51688

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Good heavens, this project has grown so much since it started! I very much like the way those mountain ridges turned out, Rahl. You might not be very confident when it comes to digital image processing, but you have the craftsmanship of a real professional. I'm sure that, if you would ever throw yourself completely at the digital world, you'd be a massively good digital map maker in no time.

Until that time though, I would like to compliment you again on this map. It's amazing.

EDIT:Another question: that language you're using, which is it? Is the fact that I'm asking this clear proof of my linguistic insignificance, or is it a conlang? It looks impressive in any case!
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 01-31-2013 at 06:46 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

You have worked very deeply with this and sure you have done a great work here. Nice map.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

The latest map is looking great! Love the mountains, though I agree with someone else who pointed out the similarities between the coast & river lines. Maybe if you add a light watercolour effect to the coast & water it might help?

Might have to try something similar... I started drawing maps ages ago byhand and think I might have lost a bit of the personal touch by going all digital. Used to love drawing over pencil coastlines in ink!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Good heavens, this project has grown so much since it started! I very much like the way those mountain ridges turned out, Rahl. You might not be very confident when it comes to digital image processing, but you have the craftsmanship of a real professional. I'm sure that, if you would ever throw yourself completely at the digital world, you'd be a massively good digital map maker in no time.

Until that time though, I would like to compliment you again on this map. It's amazing.

EDIT:Another question: that language you're using, which is it? Is the fact that I'm asking this clear proof of my linguistic insignificance, or is it a conlang? It looks impressive in any case!
    Thanks for the great feedback!
    As for the language yes it is a conlang. It's my own creation called Helisinar which if you look at my previously posted finished map Ædorn Drësirasar the language comes from Helisinas. It's my own version of an Elven Language.
    The northern portion of the continent is like a Germanic type dialect Muundet'n.

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    The latest map is looking great! Love the mountains, though I agree with someone else who pointed out the similarities between the coast & river lines. Maybe if you add a light watercolour effect to the coast & water it might help?

Might have to try something similar... I started drawing maps ages ago byhand and think I might have lost a bit of the personal touch by going all digital. Used to love drawing over pencil coastlines in ink!
    My next map I'm definitely going to try and fix that part of it. I wasn't too happy with it myself but I can't undo ink. I did add a few new rivers here and there and I drew them a bit smoother which makes a big difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12