Thread: Hi everybody! Hi Doctor Nick!

Default Hi everybody! Hi Doctor Nick!

Hey Everybody!

Totally new to cartography, totally new to forums. Just a few things:

-I love maps, of any kind really.

-I'm especially interested in tiled tabletop gaming maps.

-Like I said, I'm new to using a forum so I might ask the wrong questions in the wrong places. sorry :p

-I came here mostly looking for help with transferring my graph paper maps to my computer, ready and loaded with questions on erasing lines, ridding the image of certain colors, etc.. Some direction on this would be fantastic!

-In my research I've heard a lot of great things about this community. I'm looking forward to working with everyone a great deal!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

First off, welcomne to the Guild, The Mappiest Place on the Web

Secondly, your research has not led you wrong. We here at the Guild pride ourselves on being able to teach the joys of mapping to ANYONE with the interest and willing to put in the effort. A great starting point is to look here for a Quickstart Guide to Mapping. This will give you the basics. The next couple of forums to check out is the Finished Maps and Cartographers Choice forums, found lower down on the main page. These will give you plenty of maps to look through and find styles that you like. Most of the threads in these forums will have links to the WIP (Work In Progress) threads where the artists talk about what and how they did things, along with some mentioning the software used. Sometimes they tell what tutorials they used to learn the various techniques used to create the map.

Thirdly, if you have no idea about what software to use, we have a Software forum which lists (with brief discriptions of how they are used) the various programs which are used within the Guild. Well worth the browze through.

Finally, and I cannot stress this point enough, MAP! You can't learn mapping without putting "pen to Paper", even if it is done digitally. Once you start on a project, post your efforts in the above mentioned WIP forums, and we will be quite happy to help you get the map to where you want it o be. Remember that this is a journey of learning, but one well worth the trip. If you get lost we will always be here to to help you back into known teritory.

Enjoy the stay and don't be shy
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Welcome aboard! From the sounds of it, you will love this place
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Welcome to the Guild Dr. Nick!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh