Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: November 2012 Entry: Treasures of Fumanchu

Wip November 2012 Entry: Treasures of Fumanchu

Late to the party but I rebelled last night and stayed up playing with Photoshop for the first time since I purchased it and using my Wacom tablet.

I'm so tired right now and I just hope I can put in the time I need to wrap this up. I didn't exactly leave myself any room for issues.

I'll explain more about this later...if I can get it done.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapsecret.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	50273  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Very nice tablet pencil-work! Hope you finish this, I want to see how it develops.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks Arsheesh. I don't feel like it's my best cuz I am rushing it a bit but I wanted to get as much under my belt in as little time as possible since I have a commission I need to do using PS. I still like like Gimp and know how to do a lot of things in it that I don't know how to do in PS so there's a bit of a curve. I was just having a number of issues with Gimp's latest version and I didn't feel like fighting with it so here I am.

The one thing I'm not happy with is that it seems when I use a larger brush size I get more of a repeating stamp instead of a smooth line. I hope that's a setting or something because otherwise it's just annoying, lol.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Oh wow, that's pretty damn nice! Even if you don't get it in by the challenge deadline, please do finish it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement, it's helping believe me. I'm going to drag myself off to bed now but first the update:

This is the map to the horded riches of the pirate king "Fumanchu". It leads to an island and then deep in the wilds, across rugged wilderness filled with much nastiness as well as tribes of cannibals. Suffice to say it is not an easy journey. How a party of adventurers ended up with it I leave to your discretion. A ship must be used to sail to said island whereupon the river can be followed upstream.

Now for the "Misdirection" concept -

SPOILER ALERT - If you would rather figure it out on your own (it's not that hard) do NOT read the following quote.

I still have to get some labels done but it wouldn't be the end of the world to get a treasure map with little to no details now would it?

### Latest WIP ###
    It look like this is an old map for some kind of teaser. Awesome work of pencil.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement, it's helping believe me. I'm going to drag myself off to bed now but first the update:

This is the map to the horded riches of the pirate king "Fumanchu". It leads to an island and then deep in the wilds, across rugged wilderness filled with much nastiness as well as tribes of cannibals. Suffice to say it is not an easy journey. How a party of adventurers ended up with it I leave to your discretion. A ship must be used to sail to said island whereupon the river can be followed upstream.

SPOILER ALERT - If you would rather figure it out on your own (it's not that hard) do NOT read the following quote.

I still have to get some labels done but it wouldn't be the end of the world to get a treasure map with little to no details now would it?

### Latest WIP ###
    It look like this is an old map for some kind of teaser. Awesome work of pencil.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

The map actually creates a much much bigger challenge with little reward unless the key is unlocked. Notice the two heads of "Fumanchu"...if you fold the map placing them one atop the other you find a perfect alignment revealing the treasures location about a quarter of the way into the island. You see, Fumanchu didn't really want to trek all that way either but he figured it would make for a great way to kill off anyone finding or stealing his map.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	mapsecretAged.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	50278  

The map looks great. Please do finish it!

Wow...it's 3am but I think I'm done and if I'm not well I can't tell anymore

I added some labels and the cryptic words of Fumanchu which at some point if it's not obvious enough does in fact provide the details to understanding how the map works.

If I get a chance I might add some more illustrations such as swords and cannibals but I'm doubtful if I will have the time. If I get a moment tomorrow I would like to show a shot of what the map looks like folded onto itself.

edit: Ok, I had to show the folded version so it's here on the right....I wonder if I should put them together into one image?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	mapsecretsepia.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	50305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Folded map.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	456.9 KB 
ID:	50306  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 11-30-2012 at 05:23 AM.

Ok here is a shot of both the open map and the closed one together.

I'm not sure if I should include the solved version or if it's neccessary or not so I'm leaving the wip tags off. I'm open to either way. This version is compressed on medium quality so it's smaller in size by a lot.

I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow if I have a brain

edit: Ok, I think the before and after images will further prompt the whole idea and it's only the difference between 20 and 100 miles worth of travel through hostile terrain...unless of course you also count the trip home

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Map and Solved.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	50307  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 11-30-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast