Thread: Dundjinni Question

Question Dundjinni Question

Can anyone answer this question: Our group has just delved into VTT's, specifically Maptools, and I'd like to know how I can determine/alter the default grid size in Dundjinni (in px) so when I import it in to maptools the grid is the correct size? Changing the default size for Maptools is fairly easy IIRC.

I use a Mac running OSX 10.5.8 if that makes a difference.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

By default, DundJinni works at 1 inch = 5 ft at 200 DPi.

To make maps that work well with Maptool, I export my map as a 100 DPI Bitmap. I then open it in Photoshop, click on "Image Size", make sure the map is the right size at 100 DPI and save it. When I import it to MAptool, the system grid and the map grid usually line up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    By default, DundJinni works at 1 inch = 5 ft at 200 DPi.

To make maps that work well with Maptool, I export my map as a 100 DPI Bitmap. I then open it in Photoshop, click on "Image Size", make sure the map is the right size at 100 DPI and save it. When I import it to MAptool, the system grid and the map grid usually line up.
    Thanks Bogie. Newbie follow up question, DPI & PPI are the same thing aren't they?

**Edit** I tried that, I set the export size in Dundjinni to 100px per cell, then when I opened the bitmap in PS CS4 the image size was 400px pi, when I changed that down to 100 px pi, and created the map in Maptools, my grid size was actually 25px pi. Don't what I've missed, obviously I'm misunderstanding some key concepts here or there are some differences in terminology/versions that account for the difference.
    Last edited by damonjynx; 11-29-2012 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Further information.

Finished Maps

My limited understanding is that DPI & PPI are "technically" different, but for practical purposes they are mostly interchangeable.

In photoshop you have 3 parameters you can change relative to image size. If you just change the resolution, the image gets smaller. What you need to do is change the resolution and then change the pixel size back to the size that makes the inches 6 x 6.

step 1: when I open the image size box this map is 1200 x 1200 pixel size, 3" x 3" at 400 ppi I want it to be 6" x 6" at 100 ppi
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageSize1.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	50296

Step 2 After I change the resolution to 100 ppi the inches stayed the same but the # of pixels dropped to 300 x 300. This is where you stopped.

Name:	ImageSize2.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	50297

Step 3 Now you have to change the pixel size back to the 600 x 600, and the size in inches goes back up to the 6" x 6" we want.
    When you click OK you won't see any change in the image in photoshop, but you have changed the parameters and maptool will
    read it correctly if the map tool grid is set for 100 dpi /ppi = 5 ft.

Name:	ImageSize4.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	50299
    Last edited by Bogie; 11-29-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Ahh! And the light is turned on alleviating the darkness of ignorance.

Thanks heaps Bogie. **and have some rep!

What I intend to do is create the base map(s) (i.e. maps without interactive elements such as doors and the like) in DJ, then export those to PS for tweaking/preparation for Maptool and then use the many wonderful tokens/objects provided by yourself and others for the interactive elements.

Is that how others do it?
    Last edited by damonjynx; 11-29-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Finished Maps

I believe so. I use Maptool, but I don't use it enough to really know how to use it well. Thanks for the Rep. Post some of your maps so I can Rep you back!

I have uploaded some maps, but I'm not sure what thread they're in now. I suppose I should start an album!

I played around a little with the above making sure I adjust the document size as well as the resolution, then discovered I don't have to. When I export a BMP from DJ, my version asks for px per cell and creates an image 3200 x 4000 px ( if set a 100px/cell). The resolution is 400ppi. When I open that in PS or maptool, I don't have to do anything other than ensure my grids are set to 100px or whatever the value was I exported the map at. On a fairly basic map, the file size increased by a about 1.5mb (400ppi vs. 100ppi resolution) - don't know what performance hassles I'll get with larger file sizes, but the grids line up perfectly.

Finished Maps

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    I have uploaded some maps, but I'm not sure what thread they're in now. I suppose I should start an album!

I played around a little with the above making sure I adjust the document size as well as the resolution, then discovered I don't have to. When I export a BMP from DJ, my version asks for px per cell and creates an image 3200 x 4000 px ( if set a 100px/cell). The resolution is 400ppi. When I open that in PS or maptool, I don't have to do anything other than ensure my grids are set to 100px or whatever the value was I exported the map at. On a fairly basic map, the file size increased by a about 1.5mb (400ppi vs. 100ppi resolution) - don't know what performance hassles I'll get with larger file sizes, but the grids line up perfectly.
    What about sharing it here!!!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map