Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Atlindowa

Quote Originally Posted by kestrelgrey View Post
    I really like this map; the only thing I'm wondering is if the black coastal lines should maybe be a dark blue? the other lines of the mountains and forests are darker colors of their respective colors (I admit, I just posted on your previous map that you did for a friend). The compass rose looks beautiful, especially now that it's a little easier to see/read. I really like how the shields on the title 'scroll' look like they're part of the map; they're clean and clear, without being too "vector".
    Oh, I'm wondering if those boxes on the compass rose are supposed to be text? They look like the boxes that show up when a font doesn't have a symbol for a particular character. It actually looks interesting, but I'm not sure if they're there on purpose.

Looking good!
    Well, the squares are there on the original image I used, so I'm not certain if they are meant to be like that. I would assume, given that it's an image, that if it were a font it would show up regardless of whether or not I had the pack. My basis for that being that I can see images perfectly fine using the Russian alphabet font, even though I don't have that particular language pack installed on my computer. So if they are a font that was not installed, it was done so by the person who created it.

As for the coastal lines, they actually are blue, but it's not an easy thing to spot (and not as noticeable because of the light blue water, even though it's not actually an exceptionally dark blue; the RGB for it being R:0 G:26 B:56), and if I look at it quickly it appears black but looking closer I can see the blue tint to it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Interesting; you've managed to demonstrate two effects of simultaneous contrast with a single map. Simultaneous contrast is the way some colors will interfere with the perception of adjacent colors. In the second case, the coastal lines, the darker lines appear to desaturate because they're surrounded by a field of the same hue at a greater brightness. The bright blue of the water disguises the dark blue of the lines. They definitely are blue, though, as can be seen if you compare them to the dark gray of the coastline itself.

The other effect, pointed out by Arsheesh, came from placing very saturated complementary colors next to each other. This is usually known as color vibration, and it is worst when you're dealing with thin lines and bright colors. Sometimes it gives the viewer a little bit of eyestrain, which can manifest as a headache. Sometimes it causes the lines to appear to shake, thus the term "vibration." Sometimes it creates a false perception of white or gray lines between the colors, an effect of your visual cortex trying to maintain distinction between the colors. If you want an egregious example, take a look at this image: http://www.bryanray.name/illustration/090219Orrery.png
    I'm not going to post that into the thread because it really is rather hard to look at.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Concerning the image, when I click on it I get a 403 forbidden error, with an additional 404 not found error as well.

I think my hotlink protection was blocking it. If you copy-paste the link to your navigation bar it should work. I've turned off hotlink protection on my web site for now while I try to troubleshoot, so it should work by just clicking the link.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12