Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlindowa

Map Atlindowa

Well, I've just completed this map, working from about 9:00 pm until around 6:50 am. Lots of hard work went into this, and I'm mostly happy with it, but there are some things I do want to change, but they will have to wait for now (that being a nicer looking border, perhaps one that has an A,B,C,D,etc. grid. Though I've been unable to find any, and I'm not sure how to go about making one, so if someone could give me a point in the right direction there, that would be awesome. The other thing I'm thinking on changing because it sort of looks ugly to me is the legend key. Maybe go with a more complex shape of some sort, and maybe a different texture for it too.)

Other things I am going to have to add are some names for the rivers (and fix the placement of the names on the lakes), but I've sort of run out of names to think of for now, and I'm quite tired after doing this. And an additional thing I would potentially like to add, but it might make it quite a bit busy, are some heraldic devices at the cities. I'm still debating on that or not (let me know what you think of that idea).

Special thanks goes Freodin, Korash, and Diamond for their previous critique on my Kelailles map. I hope this has shown that your feedback was well taken and appreciated.

Now for the credits.

Tree brushes are by StarRaven: link.
    Compass Rose is by Prettywitchery: link.
    Compass Grid is by Schwarzkreuz: link.
    Mountains are a font called Hill Country: link.

Comments, criticisms, feedback are all welcome and appreciated.

-Thegn Ansgar

As an aside, if you've seen the first map I've ever posted here on Cartographer's Guild, that too was Atlindowa, but that particular creation of mine has gone through so many different iterations/cities added/names changed, because I've ultimately never been happy on the way it looked or the style of the map; until now that is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atlindowa.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	50292
    Last edited by Thegn Ansgar; 11-29-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Spelling error

That turned out pretty nice Thegn! The color of the compass rose however bothers me somewhat - whenever I try looking at it it makes my head hurt (not sure why). I would suggest changing the color to white and setting it at low opacity. As to how to make border, I've written up a little tutorial on the subject. You can find a link to it in my sig. Overall though this is a nice map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks for the comment arsheesh, and the tutorial too. I appreciate it.

My pleasure, hope the tutorial is of use to you.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

I really like the texture you've given the map. It makes me want to reach out on my screen and touch it. Also, the umm...I don't know what you'd call them, but the lines hugging the land really add a lot to the rivers. It makes them seem dynamic and active(whereas without thee, they might look bland and blue) - something I'll keep in mind for the future ^_^

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like that; the colors and text look much more natural and cleaner.

You've got a couple of spots where your coastal rings don't conform to small peninsulae down in the southern part by Abombi, the peninsula kind of shears right through the rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasch View Post
    I really like the texture you've given the map. It makes me want to reach out on my screen and touch it. Also, the umm...I don't know what you'd call them, but the lines hugging the land really add a lot to the rivers. It makes them seem dynamic and active(whereas without thee, they might look bland and blue) - something I'll keep in mind for the future ^_^
    Thanks, that's the kind of look I was going for with the coastal lines in the rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I like that; the colors and text look much more natural and cleaner.

You've got a couple of spots where your coastal rings don't conform to small peninsulae down in the southern part by Abombi, the peninsula kind of shears right through the rings.
    Wow, thanks for pointing that out. I didn't notice it until you did, now I can see it all over the place . Thankfully with the way I layered it, they'll be easy fixes with the eraser and brush in photoshop. Guess that's what happens when you use your fill areas to make the selection for coastal rings as opposed to the outline of the land.

Newest version, with the fixed coastlines, new legend and some decorations, altered the compass rose colour like Arsheesh suggested, as well as utilizing his border tutorial.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I feel it's finished now and ready for my Role Playing game, but if anyone else has some suggestions to improve it or fix something, I'd like to hear it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AtlindowaBorder.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	50300

That's looking really nice Thegn (and the compass rose looks much better in my opinion). Nice work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I really like this map; the only thing I'm wondering is if the black coastal lines should maybe be a dark blue? the other lines of the mountains and forests are darker colors of their respective colors (I admit, I just posted on your previous map that you did for a friend). The compass rose looks beautiful, especially now that it's a little easier to see/read. I really like how the shields on the title 'scroll' look like they're part of the map; they're clean and clear, without being too "vector".
    Oh, I'm wondering if those boxes on the compass rose are supposed to be text? They look like the boxes that show up when a font doesn't have a symbol for a particular character. It actually looks interesting, but I'm not sure if they're there on purpose.

Looking good!
    Portfolio & Project Blog: 99 Colored Umbrellas
    World Building Project: Worlds of Sand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast