Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Font Creator

Mount Savage, MD, USA, North America, America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group.

Post Free Font Creator

I Know some of you are font-heads too and my dad was wondering if there was any good free Font Creation Programs out there?
    "The Enemy's Gate Is Down" - Ender Wiggen, Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card

Software Used- ME v16, My Hands 1.0, My Brain

All Maps are either Copyright J.L.Odom and Bardic Fire Studios or under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License (Note it applies to all countries even though it's United States)

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would consider a free font creation program as the Holy Grail of the internet. Let the quest begin.

I know there's an OpenType SDK over at microsoft. OpenType is replacing TrueType...

I wish you could just take the vectors from illustrator and make a stinkin font...wouldn't that be nice?
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Post I used to have a font creator app

I used to have a font creator app - of course it wasn't free, about $20 if I remember right. And you could simply take vector creations from Illustrator or raster images from Photoshop and convert them into typeable text. I even created a font from my hand-writing.

For something to be free, it has to be developed Open Source and intentionally distributed for no cost. Problem is not everyone in the world is willing to work for free, so not all softwares are available free. Almost all the software, I have, I paid for - it wasn't available for free.

In truth, I never look for free software. I look for software, sometimes I try free for experimentation when I find it, but I never have expectations of such. I say just pay the $20 and purchase the software. You should get your money's worth.

Free is not a holy grail, what works best is the only important thing and sometimes you have to pay for the priviledge.

Hopefully you guys do find something in the free font arena - I just don't see FREE as the end-all and be-all.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Any idea what the $20 font creator app was?

Guild Journeyer

Anyone tried FontStruct yet? I keep meaning to, but I'm easily distracted.

http://fontstruct.fontshop.com/
    Last edited by GlennZilla; 05-29-2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typos and an absent comma

Post Its not $20 anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Any idea what the $20 font creator app was?
    Doing a quick search, I now see the software I purchased for $20 is now $39 - I bought the app, back in 2001. (Sorry, unless you have a way to travel through time.)

If you're looking for a free font creator app, $39 is nowhere near that, so this is not for you, I suppose. I don't understand why font creator apps are so expensive though (I've found software for $999 - who'd buy that?)

Actually that fontstructor site looks pretty good and might be worth a try.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

39$ is a lot closer to free than Fontographer which used to be the be-all-end-all font program back in the day...its no longer made I don't think.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Mount Savage, MD, USA, North America, America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group.

I would consider a free font creation program as the Holy Grail of the internet. Let the quest begin.
    Beware the Killer Angry Chicken

Free is not a holy grail, what works best is the only important thing and sometimes you have to pay for the priviledge.
    Yes but some of us are so po' we can't afford the O or the R

(I've found software for $999 - who'd buy that?)
    people who make 10x that making font's

All Maps are either Copyright J.L.Odom and Bardic Fire Studios or under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License (Note it applies to all countries even though it's United States)

Post Just found this: ppFonter

I did another search and found this... ppFonter Bitmap Font Maker 2.2 - free download, only $19.99 purchase price, but I don't know the quality of the application. It has a 5 star rating (?!)

Here's the link: ppFonter 2.2

I'm downloading the free trial - I'll tell you what I think of it, once I play some. (Although the description hints that this might not really be a font creator, so much as a converter of formats.)

Font Creator Home Edition is $65
    High Logic Font Creator is $79
    Fony - freeware editor for bitmap fonts http://hukka.furtopia.org/projects/fony/

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-29-2008 at 12:58 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Doing a quick search, I now see the software I purchased for $20 is now $39 - I bought the app, back in 2001. (Sorry, unless you have a way to travel through time.)
    Holy Crap!!! That's It!!!, I'll just invent a time machine... lol.

You would think The GIMP would have some sort of Plugin for Font Design.
    Last edited by Arkkeeper; 05-29-2008 at 12:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast