Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dazed and Confused ^.^

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Dazed and Confused ^.^

I have no clue how to do anything correctly. I have hand drawn maps, and now I got FM8 for an early Christmas present so my party can have pretty maps. Of course I don't know how to make pretty maps with FM8.... o.O

And that's how I got here ^.^ So I'll be learning from you guys and I hope I don't annoy anyone. ^.^

Well, you have come to the right place. I'm sure there are some here who know how to use FM8. Plus, we all like looking at "pretty maps" so we have an interest in seeing you get better with your tools.

Welcome aboard and have fun!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I've been drawing maps by hand for years, so they look neat in their own right. However the issues I have is the fact ink and pencil fades, and soda spills on my maps hurt because I can't very easilly make copies. So someone new to my group gifted the DM (ie me) with FM8. Told me I should use it because his other DM does. I may try to find this other DM but I'm not too worried. I'll eventually "get it" and I wonder what to do with a player that's bribed me with a cool program. ^.^ Now to find all the FM8 textures on the web like vintyi's. I wants... I needs my... PRECIOUS!!!! ^.^

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Well it DOES look like you are already hooked Glad to have ya and enjoy the ride.

Look in the tutorial forum lower down on the main page , and you should find some tuts there. I also seem to remember a few people making maps in the WIP forums so you might want to do a search there for FM8. Regardless, post your efforts there and we will get you where you want real quick. Its what we do, and I have to say that we are good at it. Real good.

Soooo..... Don't be shy and show us what ya got, as well as the new stuff. We LOVE PnP maps

And Welcome to The Guild, the Mappiest Place on the Web.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Step 0: take pictures of your existing maps (or scan them if you have a scanner) to prevent further degradation and allow copying.
    Step 1: insert each map image in your drawing tool as the background to a new map.
    Step 2: draw as much or as little new information as you need.
    Step 3: print maps for use during gaming if you need hardcopy.

These four simple steps let you get use out of your new toy without having to learn everything at once.

And as far as that player who bribed you...
    Well, I'm always one for getting even in a devious way. Make a really crappy map that's hard to make sense out of and be sure it costs them dearly. That should set the bar nice and low so whatever you come out with next for them will be fantastic!!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Dang Jax your just plain devious LOL Welcome Kaiyla, don't worry you'll fit right in here, we're all dazed and confused!! Good Journeys

The best single source of fill patterns (textures) that are useable directly in FM8 can be found in the Dundjinni (TM) fantasy forums, at:

Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums: Objects and Textures (Fantasy)

If you work your way through the tutorials that I recommended to you, you'll know how to snag these fills and get them into FM8.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Isnalia.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	50348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aerolis.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	50349

Might not be much, but the island has always been a large area for my players. Isnalia has 4 major cities and an entrance into the underdark. Cellesnia's the unofficial capital of the island continent and is under a rule of law. Then I have scans to work into maps....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0001.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	601.3 KB 
ID:	50350

I used to have many graphed maps like this and a detailed overland map but I either lost most of them or they were destroyed. So now I'm working on porting things into photoshop and now FM8. The city's huge, the farms in some cases are over 100 acres.

As an aside, I don't know where I put works in progress ^.^
    Last edited by Kaiyla Bradford; 12-03-2012 at 02:25 AM.

Welcome here have fun!!!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast