Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: hand drawn / ps trading village

Actually, I don't think it's bad at all. It has a very architectural style that I tend to like.

What are you shooting for and maybe we can provide some help. Do you have any examples of some town maps that have something you want?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

You might be getting the "crayon" impression because of all the white showing through (as you are using a low opacity brush). You could try fiddling with the background or parts of it. Perhaps adjust the white slightly to a warmer colour or a subtle green. Or even try a paper type background.

You could also try throwing down a texture on top (something I do) - a paper or rust or whatever texture on top of everything on a separate layer set to 10% overlay or thereabouts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    You might be getting the "crayon" impression because of all the white showing through (as you are using a low opacity brush). You could try fiddling with the background or parts of it. Perhaps adjust the white slightly to a warmer colour or a subtle green. Or even try a paper type background.

You could also try throwing down a texture on top (something I do) - a paper or rust or whatever texture on top of everything on a separate layer set to 10% overlay or thereabouts.
    This.

Adding a subtle texture will make a lot of difference to how it looks.

Not that it needs it though. I think it looks great.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Adept

I find it beautiful, and I think that it would be an extremely rare child the one able to do something like this in a kindergarden!

Jaxilon – Here are a couple of links to stuff I like, this is more or less elements of the style (though I like the styles selected) I like your water style in the cano exp I think overall I like the subtle understated styles the best, that have the handdrawn/digital combo. But then again I happen to like a variety of the maps I see here. That’s really a hard one to answer.
    Torstan’s Midguard http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...wastedwest.jpg The forest area textures and the light “desert” areas

Arsheesh Picture 12 of 13 from My Completed Maps

Schwarzkreuzs’ background textures http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...on-hughes9.jpg

Larb I’ll give the background fiddling a shot, once I figure out / select a good texture pattern. I’ll be looking at your tutorial as I’m using CS3 also http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...-tutorial.html Hopefully this may enhance my PS skills, thanks

Ramah I like your grassland style in http://www.cartographersguild.com/re...tml#post202178. It seems you also used a “blotched parchment” background layer?

I'll be slack for a bit here RL is getting in the way LOL, not much of an update, I've been working on the forested areas and road a bit more but not much. Afterthought here on the maps selected, these all seem to be regional / world maps so I'll have to consider the scale of the elements compared to my village. Thanks for the input guys.

I think you will find some happiness by just putting a parchment layer under this. It'll add some depth and texture to your coloring and you can tweak from there. Looking forward to seeing it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Novice

I think this is a fine map. I'm sure you PS people can offer some improvements, but please keep the "hand drawn" feel. As a long-time game master and now author, I feel many of todays maps are too polished. Just like I don't like my music over polished, maps that have a "look what I found in grandpa's dresser drawer" feel seem somehow more authentic and more real. It feels like somebody who lives in that town took the time to draw a map of his town. I really like it, and thanks for posting it!

Wip

Small tweeks update, now that I see this online it looks to subtle. Whatcha all think? worked on the treeline some, road edges some, cleaned up color overlay on building to make them pop out a bit more. Still haven't worked on the parchment layer, was trying to update what I had before I screwed around LOL. Well everything is screwing around!! Whew this is hard work
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TR V11 12-10-12 a.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	684.4 KB 
ID:	50467

Oooh, that's looking nice Vellum.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Well it looks like this may be finished for now i accidentally converted the psd into last night's jpeg post!!! I've got the day previous save file, but this kinda knocked the wind outta me, had more than a couple of hours change in it yesterday, worked the day on an off. Good lesson to pay attention to the save function and not do it automatically LOL. I guess my choices are to try and recreate layer system from this point or drop back and rework stuff. I think I'll step away from it for a bit and maybe get through the holidays then jump back on it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast