Thread: hand drawn / ps trading village

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip hand drawn / ps trading village

This is something I've been playing with, again to learn PS. It's a small trading village near borderlands of population / desolation. It is run by a manor lord who has fallen out of favor with the current powers that be. Even though thrown to the neatherlands he recognized the value to the land to raise sheep. He established some dye houses and weaving houses to process the wool and dye it for trade back into his lands and for export for sale. The place has become a favored place for caravans heading into the rugged realms just beyond. Just for RobA it has a butcher, baker and a candlestick maker LOL!!

Ok here's my process for this. freehand sketch (regular 8.5 x 11 copy paper) to develope the general feel for the town based on the above concept. scanned in sketch, loaded into PS. set up a layer system of water, grassland, trees and buildings. Thats it so far. Colors are massed in per the appropriate layer, I don't care if they overlap etc at this point. Some stuff looks ok, some stuff sucks We can see the background layer which really help define the hillfort mound, but I've really got to figure out how to do my contour method in PS. I will individual draw in the building etc. Comments / crits as always welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TR-01 Vellum copy.jpg 
Views:	2250 
Size:	615.0 KB 
ID:	50322 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TR V11 1-6-2013 border top.jpg 
Views:	1296 
Size:	333.8 KB 
ID:	51052 just a side by side with the latest version to see the overall change
    Last edited by Vellum; 01-06-2013 at 04:13 PM.