View Poll Results: Vote for AS MANY ENTRIES AS YOU WISH, but help us pick a winner

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** November 2012 Challenge VOTING - Maps as Misdirection ***

Post *** November 2012 Challenge VOTING - Maps as Misdirection ***

Congratulations to all the entrants on this month's challenge for finishing their maps.

This months challenge was :
    "Maps as misdirection: create two versions of the same map - one for players and one for the GM. This might take the form of a player map scrawled by some earlier, unfortunate, explorer - or a treasure map created to throw them off the trail. Think about how you can use a map as a means of controlling the flow of information."
    Here is what YOU need to do.

1. Take a look at challenge entries, link provided here:

2. We're currently asking everyone to vote for as many entries as you like. Note that voting for all of them will not help to decide a winner.

3. Remember to give REP for those entries that you feel deserving of it.

Good luck to everyone who took part!

Voting will end in 4 days.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Did I set this thing up correctly or are folks just deliberating on what to vote for? It looks like we've had 50 views but no votes cast yet. I kind of hate voting on the things I'm involved with but I guess I'll have to do so just to make sure it's working, unless someone else has the guts

edit: Nevermind - it seems I've just been out of practice doing this and everything was working fine. LOL, it's not like I have anything else in life to think about.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 12-02-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Its nice to see the race. But as far as the trend goes I guess Diamond will win
    But I am proud that I have first time finish a Challenge Entry!

Guild Journeyer

[QUOTE=Jaxilon;201895]Did I set this thing up correctly or are folks just deliberating on what to vote for? It looks like we've had 50 views but no votes cast yet.

Actually it's exactly the case with me. I have an attentive look one day, let it mature and vote after a second view of it all...

Again, no time to participate... arf.

So, here is my vote:

1/ The Qalis Confederacy by Diamond - nice realisation
    2/ Death Street by Fury - nice idea and clear realisation
    3/ Treasures of Fumanchu by Jaxilon - classical but good working riddle

Good work all!

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Whilst a lot of the maps are nice I voted for the one (Diamond) I also felt best went in the spirit of the challenge with different modified maps instead of just a relabeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Yospeck View Post
    Whilst a lot of the maps are nice I voted for the one (Diamond) I also felt best went in the spirit of the challenge with different modified maps instead of just a relabeling.
    That's the beauty of art, it's totally up to the viewer to decide what they like. We've often said that in the end the voters decide how well you fit into the criteria.

I would like to defend myself however on the thought that my map is just a relabeling. It is in fact one map that I think would likely cause most to hike out into the dangerous wilds when in fact they only need go a comparatively short distance. I may not have given you that idea just looking at the image (which would be my failure, not yours) but there was a lot of thought into how I could make a map to mislead rather than just giving bad or partial information. The only reason why I show two versions of it was to show how it "Should" look once the riddle is understood. So, that's something for me to work on for next time, if I failed to get the idea across. Of course, if you did get that and still felt I wasn't really in the spirit of the challenge then it's all good too, after all we can't all have the same opinion.

I do want to thank you because I really appreciate it when someone states why the voted the way the do because it helps us (me anyway) to see where I can improve. It's also a gift because it takes your time to post what you felt and sometimes you can catch flak for it. I'm not trying to give you flak, just in case you wondered. I myself happen to really like Diamond's map, it's totally awesome and you don't even have to give a reason why it's being voted on, just look at it. In fact, I told my wife his was the one to beat this round and it still looks that way to me.

And here I was thinking Diamond had some important business matters to attend but no, he's in here posting up maps right and left and doing a right fine job of it too..mumble mumble.....something about a tricky little weasel!! LOL
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 12-03-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Whaaaa? Me? Tricky weasel?

Nah, I just happened to have a few days of grace in an otherwise as-usual-insanely-busy holiday season.

I voted for the three I liked the best, plain and simple. I thought they all fit the criteria to some degree, Schwarzie's probably the least (but damn that's a pretty map), yours potentially the most, maybe because it's deceptively simple, using just a tiny bit of misdirection to create all kinds of potential nightmares for our intrepid explorers.
    Last edited by Diamond; 12-04-2012 at 02:50 AM.

Awesome job Diamond, If I can re-figure out how to bestow a gold medal on you I will do so. Otherwise, it might take a bit but it's on the way. Congrats man....you tricky weasel.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Thanks, dude. And thanks to those who voted for me; I appreciate it.

Nicely done, Diamond, and against worthy opposition!

So: do these players understand just because something is printed on paper it isn't necessarily truth, or are they going to find out the hard way? :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast