Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Unknowne Lands

Blog Entries

Default The Unknowne Lands

So I've been out of the game for quite a while now due to various reasons but recently I managed to recover something of my mojo. Anyhoo, here is the finished version of a map I started a long time ago and was supposed to be a quick map I worked on when I needed a break from other stuff. :S

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The_Unknowne_Lands.jpg 
Views:	1695 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	50329

So, this is a magical land akin to Shangri-la or Brigadoon - an island adrift on the seas and charted on no map. Time and death have no meaning on the island - should death occur the victim would return to life the next dawn and be forever tied to the island, unable to leave. It is said that the island will continue to move through the seas of time until the three remaining warring kings (a fourth was treachorously betrayed and slain, thus cursing the land) put aside their claims and unite under a single monarch.

The snatches of poem at the sides are meant to be from a longer poem that tells the tale of an expedition that ended up at the island and the problems they faced before some escaped. It is not sequential - the left side is from early in the poem and the right side is from near the end.

I hope you enjoy it though personally I sure am glad to be done with it.

Edit: As this was not a commission and was done with no aim other than producing a map I'm adding a cut down and unlabeled version for personal use. This is offered under creative commons and is for personal use only and not for commercial use.
    Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unknowne-Unlabeled.jpg 
Views:	1579 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	52973
    Last edited by Ramah; 03-19-2013 at 06:02 AM.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Ramah Looking good!! Good to see you return, hoping to see more of this kind of work, congrats

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

RAMAH !!!! you are back!

glad to see that you haven't lost your touch. Nice luscious colors you have there. They really do give that idealic natural feel. Kinda at odds with a curse, but diggin' it anyway. Some curses may not feel that way until you have had too much of a good thing. I find the text of the pe=oem hard to read at times but that too just adds to the overall feel of the thing.

Just one question though, the only structure that I saw without a label is that tower located in the middle of the mountains with a green top. The lack of a label is just adding to the mystery of it all, but curiosity is forcing me to ask if that was intentional...

Very nicely done.as usual.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post

Just one question though, the only structure that I saw without a label is that tower located in the middle of the mountains with a green top. The lack of a label is just adding to the mystery of it all, but curiosity is forcing me to ask if that was intentional...
    Yes, it was intentional. There are actually 5 towers although one of them might not be so obvious.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Saw this over on deviantart and I'm glad you posted it up on here as well. This is wonderful Ramah, I hope you are back to creating again and look forward to seeing more awesome stuff from you.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

This map is amazing! The sea looks so alive... It's beautiful. It's great to see your work again Ramah! I cannot wait to see more from you, you are a great artist and cartographer.

Ok. I give up. Where is the fifth tower? o_O

Is it under the sea? The subtle light by the Drake ruins? It'd make it a roughly equal cross pattern anyway.

This one is definitely going into my inspiration folder. =P

You might be onto something Larb

Beautiful map, great backstory, lots of cool details.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast