Thread: Hello

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Post Hello

Hi all,

I stumbled across the Cartographers' Guild a little while back for a project I'm working on and as the map-making side of it has become more and more important, I thought I'd finally take the plunge and join in.

While I'm a bit of a part-time writer (see here) and artist (stuff like this), the reason I got into maps was an idea I had called 'The Fantasyland Herald'. Basically, think Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings as told through a trashy news website.

The plan is to launch the Herald as a simple blog in the New Year and then scale things up if it proves popular. Right now, I've got some people together to start generating content and that includes something I think will end up core to the whole exercise - a map. And it'll probably end up being a ridiculously complex and detailed map with which I'll need lots of help (which is why I came looking for experts ), but this is what I've done so far on the islands where the Herald will be reporting from to begin with:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	isles of aebron - small.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	50353

Welcome Fiskerton, good luck on the blog project. If you search out the tutorials you will find loads of good stuff to help you out. Small crit here, roads look too much like rivers, quickly at first I thought the roadway was running totally east to west? (needs a compass rose). Change to something dirt like. I'm not too keen on the lime green grass / vegetation areas, but both of these are just my personal opinions Very good job with what you have, you should have a long and fruitful journey here.

Hey, I like this idea a lot! I agree that the green on the map is a little bright/vivid, but I like the style. Not sure if the more penciled mountains and forests mesh as well as they could with the dark (and rather wide) stroke border around the landmasses, but I love the overall map. It's look good! Can't wait to see your blog. ^-^
    Portfolio & Project Blog: 99 Colored Umbrellas
    World Building Project: Worlds of Sand

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Thanks for all the feedback! I expect the map will keep evolving, but at some point I'd like to open up the mapping of the world to anyone who's interested. It fits with the idea of the world that different cartographers would have produced their own maps for different regions and there'd probably be arguments about whose map is the more accurate. In fact, thinking along these lines prompted the idea for a story in the Herald where scandal rocks the local Cartographer's Guild, because it turns out that one of the members, instead of heading out into monster infested territory to chart the lands, actually just stayed home and made it all up. Think I'll go write that up now

Welcome to the Guild Fiskerton! That's a nice start to a map. You might think about creating a WIP page for this since more members are likely to see it there and you will be more likely to receive helpful feedback. Your project sounds really interesting, and I wish you luck on it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh