Thread: Cano Island experimentation sketch

Default Cano Island experimentation sketch

Basically just trying to smash my way around in Photoshop so I can learn the functions it has. I'm used to Gimp and coming from that it seems like PS hides features in odd places. I just have to get used to it so I started scribbling and that sort of morphed into this. I may need to track down some good add ons as well since I don't see as many filter options as I had with Gimp.

I did this last night and couldn't leave it alone so put some more details into it today. It's really just a sketch gone wild but it's a style I may try to refine in the future.

I don't think it's too horrible for not having a goal in mind when I started. I figured I would share it just to keep myself active and motivated to keep drawing.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CanoIsland.jpg 
Views:	794 
Size:	962.6 KB 
ID:	50384  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I think you've really got something here. Sketchy as it is, I rather like it.The thumbnail looks especially nice ^-^ Your color choices are excellent, and - assuming I'm reading it right, that the lighter colors around the island are reefs - I like that you've thought of that. The volcano looks good, and the geographic features look natural. I really love that little island in that round bay; it looks a little unnaturally smoothly rounded, but it looks better in the full size map. Good luck with PS! It does like to hide things in odd places, and sometimes the workspace layout can be frustrating. You've done a great job!
    Portfolio & Project Blog: 99 Colored Umbrellas
    World Building Project: Worlds of Sand

Sometimes I like sketchy too and yes, those are reefs.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Blog Entries

I think it looks great, man. Love your sea.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Very nice! The color scheme is fantastic, and the sketchy quality gives it an artistic edge I like. Also, your rocks are very well done.

Awesome. New to PS, eh? Goes to show it ain't the tool, it's the talent behind it.

Awesome specially the sea part!!!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Thanks guys.
    I think I'm least happy with the greenery myself. I'll have to try something different next time.
    I agree with the comment on the rocks, I was pleased the way they turned out. Then of course, they are pretty much hand painted over the line work. I probably should have posted just the drawing without any color in order to make a real WIP out of it but it wasn't supposed to be a long drawn out work anyway. I also was pretty happy with how the reef islands turned out.
    As for the Sea, I'd call that my semi watercolor attempt. Combined with the line work It came out sort of how I envisioned. Sometimes you get some happy coincidences too which are always fun. I faded it outwards using that eyeball blur thing PS has which leaves the focus on the areas you want but blurs the areas outside of it. Not a bad tool i think.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

As for the Sea, I'd call that my semi watercolor attempt.
    That's exactly what it looked like to me, watercolors, so mission accomplished. It looks great.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Well Jax, thats an rounded map, with time you will find your way through PS for shure.