Thread: Earlier downtime, and further potential downtime. My apologies.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Earlier downtime, and further potential downtime. My apologies.

Morning folks!

I found out at 2am this morning (EST) that the site was down. I've been on a business trip, so my connectivity and availability has been very limited, but I did get a notification from the host that we were being moved from their usually unreliable and older west coast datacenter to their new and faster and more modern east coast datacenter. I figured it'd be a smooth transition because we're on a dedicated server, and it'd just be a matter of duplicating the server image from one physical box to another...but that ended up not being the case. Something went wrong and the site ended up getting moved BACK to shared hosting. This is of course NOT what we're paying for, and breaks all the great custom software that we've installed to make things run better around here.

I've temporarily disabled most of that software on the server side and it should at least allow the site to run, not great mind you, but at least somewhat in the shared environment.

The host has been made aware of their grievous mistake, and should be working to get us back where we belong. So if you're able to read this, then great, but there may be additional downtime and periods of slowness.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, and things should be back to normal today hopefully. Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves...I'm going to try and catch a few more winks before they call me back. I'll check back in the morning.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Blog Entries

Real quick, before I go back to sleep...I wanted to clarify my "found out at 2am" situation. Being on a business trip means being in a hotel, which means sleep isn't always the best of sleep. I was sleeping pretty soundly, but apparently having some nightmares. They were basically a series of slightly disturbing scare-tactics type situations that were being presented to me in a "ghost-story around the campfire" delivery...weird right?

Well, The last "segment" consisted of a "story" of a lady who was browsing some web system and seeing pictures of something horrible happening or something, and then when she clicked on a thumbnail that looked like a picture of her...she got a broken image...or...I got a broken image...I'm not sure...but imaging being in a dream and all of a sudden the broken image link icon becomes "full-screen" in your dreamstate accompanied by the shrill violin scream sounds the likes of the Psycho shower scene, and then you jolt awake from your nightmare terrified for some reason by something that felt scarier to your mind than it actually was...Reading over this as I type it, it sounds pretty lame...but believe me I woke up with my skin crawling...

Anyways I looked at my phone to see what time it was, and noticed an email from Jaxilon...That's when I officially found out that the broken image icon was not the REAL nightmare.

Sorry if this was boring and unnecessary...I enjoyed typing it out.

Blog Entries

FYI, everything should be all sorted out now. If anyone has any problems, please let us know.

Ok, that dream thing is a bit freaky bro. You might need to find a less stressful job or else you are really overwrought about all of us at the Cartographer's Guild.

I hope you have a good day and you got enough sleep to function.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thank you for persevering, Arcana. I've had my work follow me into my dreams... but it usually doesn't hold me down and beat me with a stick!

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Thank you for persevering, Arcana. I've had my work follow me into my dreams... but it usually doesn't hold me down and beat me with a stick!
    Hmm Ha ha ha!!!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

It does seem like we are experiencing some broken links still.....For example, Jax's signature links > outside links = fine, CG hosted = 404
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Well, hooray, I got my sig fixed...well mostly anyway.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt