Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Help, Looking for a Collaborator

Guild Novice

Default Looking for Help, Looking for a Collaborator

Hello!

I am thrilled to be a part of this amazing website because I am in love with maps. Being a role-player for more than 30 years, and now an author, I've had to learn how to make maps. However, all of my maps are done by hand on paper, and I have zero skill with mapping software, nor do I have time to learn those programs.

What I am looking for here is someone who can work with me in designing maps for the worlds of my books. I can draw rough maps, and explain what I am imagining, but I lack the skill to make the maps look good, let alone come to life. If there were a "help wanted" section on this website, I'd use it.

If you would like to breathe visual life into the worlds I am breathing literary life into, then I want to talk to you. If you know someone who might be interested, please either let me know, or pass this request along to them.

I fully intend to use the maps made for me here in the publishing of my books, so there is the prospect of that recognition in the future.

Please message me if interested, or if you can help. Thanks!

Welcome to the guild! You're sure to find someone to help you out, and it sounds like you've got some interesting projects in the works ^-^ Good luck! There's also a requests section in the mapmaking resources section of the forum, at the bottom of the main forum page.

- Kestrelgrey
    Portfolio & Project Blog: 99 Colored Umbrellas
    World Building Project: Worlds of Sand

Hey, just e-mailed you with this, but here's the first pass on the map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Technospiritualist_map.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	50560

Let me know what you think ^-^

Guild Novice

This is lovely so far. I've emailed you more details. Can't wait to see what you do with them!

The First pass is fine.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Alright, here's the next pass on the map. Not all geographic features are in place - some forests and jungles left to put in, and I want to clean up the rivers. Also a few islands to place around Jala-Quey, and I'm still working on the glow effect around the text - I want the text to be visible and easily legible, but I don't want to overwhelm the map itself. The rivers between the lakes are also somewhat of a first pass, here. Technospiritualist likens these lakes to the Great Lakes of North America, so I'm going to look at maps of those lakes and maybe workout how to connect the lakes better (or rather, in a more "realistic" way).

Name:	Technospiritualist_map01.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	50726

Feedback is always welcome, even if it doesn't make it onto this map ^.^

Krestrelgrey,

Looks good. If I were to offer some feedback, I'd recommend blurring or somehow removing the "pixel" look of the coastline. That was the first thing I noticed. Of course, its a work in progress so you were probably planning on doing that anyways. I really like the old feel to it. What are you using to make it? I'm a GIMP man myself...

Also, maybe a light brown glow instead of white for the lettering... (Just a suggestion)

Alright, finally got around to updating this map. Didn't get a whole lot done, but I added some more forest in the south, moved the western islands closer to the main continent, and added some islands in the southeast. I also threw on some preliminary political borders just to check on that and see where those will go, but they really don't fit in. I'm more interested in finished the geography at the moment, but I thought I should see where the political borders will be going. Any suggestions would be appreciated ^-^

Name:	web_02.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	51011

Hey kestrelgrey, this is coming along nicely. I think I'd like to see just a splash of color to help offset the earth tone dominance going on so far. Maybe city symbols / compass rose elements can do this, in any case nice progress, good job, and alittle rep for helping out the OP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast