Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are my mountain ranges and plateus any good?

Help Are my mountain ranges and plateus any good?

^^

What about where to place my rivers too?

I included a map for size comparison as well.

I don't know what else to say so.... Thanks.

Also every colour/shade is 500 meters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ort.png 
Views:	327 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	50435   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	overlay.png 
Views:	1330 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	50436  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I do not see anything wrong with them. When it comes to rivers, remember that they flow from high ground to low ground, and USUALLY do not split on the way there. they JOIN with others to make the larger rivers. Lakes might have many feeders, but only ONE exit flow. My one suggestion about your land shape, would be remove that land bridge at the northern tip of your largest lake. This would allow for some interesting sea lanes much akin to the Straits of Gibraltar. Anyhoot, follow those river pointers and you should be fine.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    I do not see anything wrong with them. When it comes to rivers, remember that they flow from high ground to low ground, and USUALLY do not split on the way there. they JOIN with others to make the larger rivers. Lakes might have many feeders, but only ONE exit flow. My one suggestion about your land shape, would be remove that land bridge at the northern tip of your largest lake. This would allow for some interesting sea lanes much akin to the Straits of Gibraltar. Anyhoot, follow those river pointers and you should be fine.
    Thanks

Ah, but on the gibraltar part the land bridge up there is kinda in Alaskan temperature, does that affect the shipping? I originally wanted that to be a giant freshwater lake too but now that I think about it I'm not so sure...

Also I have some rivers here, do they work? (sorry for the clutter) http://universesandbox.com/forum/ind...0;attach=19969

Unless it has an outlet, it's not going to be freshwater -- and maybe even if it has one. Yeah, if there's even just pack ice there much of the year, it would be not so useful for navigation. It would be interesting though if it were a broad enough strait to leak bergs into the Maixen.

Most of those rivers are fine. The delta at Paridaniton is a little iffy - that's not a big enough watershed upstream to generate lots of sediment. But hey - maybe the elevation of its headwaters is geologically young, and the Thandawenne is eroding like crazy <shrug>. T'were it my continent I'd probably give more of those dead- end lakes outlets to the sea.

It looks nice - I like crisp & sharp over gradients & shading, lotsa times.

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Unless it has an outlet, it's not going to be freshwater -- and maybe even if it has one. Yeah, if there's even just pack ice there much of the year, it would be not so useful for navigation. It would be interesting though if it were a broad enough strait to leak bergs into the Maixen.

Most of those rivers are fine. The delta at Paridaniton is a little iffy - that's not a big enough watershed upstream to generate lots of sediment. But hey - maybe the elevation of its headwaters is geologically young, and the Thandawenne is eroding like crazy <shrug>. T'were it my continent I'd probably give more of those dead- end lakes outlets to the sea.

It looks nice - I like crisp & sharp over gradients & shading, lotsa times.
    Ah, okay. So it's not a freshwater lake then... Also there is a big polar continent just up north, I'm sure it has plenty of icebergs

I'm sort of thinking about connecting the lake of the siempre river and Maixen too, actually.

And I'll probably place a few more outlets for the lakes--the borders actually obstruct a river that flows down from Faehrenfall to the bay up north.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am not sure the big central lake on top of the mountain would work - since there won't be anything feeding it, except perhaps rain.
    Really like your coastlines overall - very neat.

@ Bartmoss I don't see much of a problem as the contour interval is 500 meters (or close to 1500+ feet) which is quite enough to generate flows for a lake....think the Great Lakes between the US and Canada. Think of it more as a lake in the middle of a large high plateau
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The great lakes aren't on top of a mountain. Remember, water flows downhill.

Okay I am kinda confused about which lake we are talking about.....So for arguments sake I will identify which one I am talking about. At the northern end of the continent, there is a small land bridge that separates the ocean from a very large lake/inland sea. to the south of that lake there is a "plateau" 5 contours up with a lake in it. THAT is the lake which I am talking about. That "plateau" has a terrain elevation variance of at least 1500 feet (500 meters) which I was saying was more than enough to create enough water flow that a lake might form in the lowest part of it.

My reference to the Great Lakes was in that they are situated in an area that while not flat, are not in what I would call "mountainous" terrain.

If you are talking about a different lake, please let me know...

PS: on rereading this post it sounds a little rough.. Sorry about that ...not my intent, but I do want to know if we are talking about the same thing...
    Last edited by Korash; 12-15-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Everything looks good! Your mountain heights look good. I was concerned at first because they seemed a bit low, but I double checked and they are aout as high as the rocky mountains in the US. So, good job!
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast