Thread: Wonderdraft or other world mapper or campaign cartographer 3+?

Default Wonderdraft or other world mapper or campaign cartographer 3+?

I am considering between these 3 softwares. Which should I buy?

Blog Entries

You can look at the sticky thread:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=1407

There is always lots of discussion about which is 'best' for mapping. But there is no best - just which you find the easiest for your maps.

I guess a lot depends on what you want from your maps. Not all software can do all things, each has its limitations. For world and regional mapping only, Wonderdraft and OWM may suit. I don't think Wonderdraft or OWM do city, dungeon and /or battle mat scale maps but I'm not 100% sure. CC3+ definitely can handle mapping at any of those scales. There is/was a Humble Bundle deal (which may be expired now...) for CC3+ which is really good value, however, if you're not familiar with CAD drawing apps then the learning curve is fairly steep, totally dependent on whether or not you just want quick maps for your gaming group or publishable quality maps. There are a number of YouTube tutorials that will speed the the process along considerably if you decide to go the CC3+ route.
    Last edited by damonjynx; 07-05-2020 at 09:14 PM.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    I guess a lot depends on what you want from your maps. Not all software can do all things, each has its limitations. For world and regional mapping only, Wonderdraft and OWM may suit. I don't think Wonderdraft or OWM do city, dungeon and /or battle mat scale maps but I'm not 100% sure. CC3+ definitely can handle mapping at any of those scales. There is/was a Humble Bundle deal (which may be expired now...) for CC3+ which is really good value, however, if you're not familiar with CAD drawing apps then the learning curve is fairly steep, totally dependent on whether or not you just want quick maps for your gaming group or publishable quality maps. There are a number of YouTube tutorials that will speed the the process along considerably if you decide to go the CC3+ route.
    The full version of Other World Mapper does dungeon and city mapping - still best to try to free demo to make sure it works the way you want .

By the way, if either of you try the demo and have any feedback please let us know. Always trying to make OWM better.

- Alejandro

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    I don't think Wonderdraft or OWM do city, dungeon and /or battle mat scale maps but I'm not 100% sure..
    If you're not sure, why post it? Why confuse people with misinformation? Of course OWM can do battlemaps, dungeon maps and city maps.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    You can look at the sticky thread:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=1407

There is always lots of discussion about which is 'best' for mapping. But there is no best - just which you find the easiest for your maps.
    Well said ... and it apparently needs frequent repeating. It's OK for fans of this or that software to say what they like about their own mapping tools, but to pump one's own product as the best helps no one. I know of nowhere better than this guild for seeing uncontestable evidence that various programs are the best for different people. What makes the difference is how good the cartographer is, not which software is the best.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    If you're not sure, why post it?
    I'm being conversational. You should try it some time, it might impart some personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    Why confuse people with misinformation?
    It's hardly confusing or misinformation. "I don't think..." clearly indicates to anyone with a functioning brain that whatever comes next is opinion and not fact and therefore should be investigated further, '...but I'm not 100% sure." simply supports that.

I'll grant my post could've been worded better. In hindsight, which is a wonderful thing, it should've said, "I don't recall if...".
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

It depends what you want to do.
    There are a lot more than 3 software, you should really give a look at the list provided by Redrobes.
    There isn't a better software but when you get used to something, it's hard to change. Yet some might be more suited for specific tacks.
    Some of us use multiple software to work on the same map because of that.

As some have already suggested, it comes down to what you wish to do.

I'm a fantasy book writer (or try to be) and all I want to do is create a few 'nice' fantasy world maps. For that I like Wonderdraft. Easy (for me) to use and quite (to me) intuitive.

Lots of assets available from fan sites.

I'm also quite adept with Photoshop but that, to me, is like cracking a walnut with a jackhammer.

Good luck with your end choice.