Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** December 2012 Maping Challenge: Local Map ***

Default *** December 2012 Maping Challenge: Local Map ***

A late start to this month's challenge but better late than never:

Make a Local Map:

Make a map based on a location near you. It could be the entire state you live in, a hiking trail or a park in your area or even the inside of your fridge. We aren't asking for directions to your front door. You can turn it into a Fantasy or Science Fiction map if you like but that's up to you so just have fun with it.

The challenge will close on or about the end of the month for voting but due to the holidays it depends on when someone is available.
    Voters will be allowed to vote for as many entries as they wish and they will determine if your map is in the spirit of the challenge.

Please post your entry on a new thread and follow the naming convention set out in the contest rules (or just refer to previous entries in the archives to see how it's done).

Keep on maping!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Meh. I was really hoping to finally have a good shot at entering one of the challenges here this month but I'll be honest, this challenge does nothing for me. I'm sure there'll be a crop of really imaginative entries but my mind has snapped shut.

Maybe next time.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Sorry Ramah, I wasted at least an hour (that I shouldn't have) trying to figure out what to put up. There are some great suggestions in the ideas folder but we're already a third of the way through the month and I didn't want to waste one of the best ideas on a rushed contest. It seems like a lot of folks are on vacation or something.

Maybe you'll get an idea looking at your desk or something? If not, I'm looking forward to January to see what you come up with.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected The Marked Hat's Avatar

I plan on entering. I'm new, though, so a few questions:

Do I post the map I've draw for this challenge here, or in a new thread on the 'Current Mapping Challenges' sub-forum?
    I'm basing my map on my house's backyard. Am I allowed to make some things bigger and change it, sort of 'warp' the details?

Just trying to make sure.

You create a new thread in this forum. Title it: *** December 2012 Entry:My backyard *** (replacing "My backyard" with whatever you want to call it.

And you can warp it as much as you want seeing as it's not like we could know anyway. It would be cool if we can see what you based it on but all in all it's up to the voters. If you do something that really says "I'm making this up based on nothing", it might cost you some votes but do what you think is right.

Your lacation is really just the seed used to launch you into your map making.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 12-12-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hmm. This makes me want to do a close-up of that Khanate of Montray map I did a while back...

It's time to make my hometown the scene of a post apocalyptic zombie story.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected The Marked Hat's Avatar

I'll enter once I find myself a printer scanner to scan the map I'm making.
    --The Marked Hat--

Marked Hat, we would take even a photo, if the scanner winds up troublesome - I personally would try to judge based on the map, not on the scanskills :-).

That's true, my first few entries were done with a photo of my drawing and then modified in Gimp using a mouse. Just get into the spirit of making artwork and learning something new and you will be enjoy it. If you win a medal all the more awesome but the main thing is to keep getting better. At least that's what I always tell myself

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast