Thread: Bodiface Enkel's Latest Chart of the Planet Karra

Wip Bodiface Enkel's Latest Chart of the Planet Karra

This isn't the first map I've had a go at, but it's the first one I've posted here. I wanted to make a map for my steampunk roleplaying campaign, and after seeing this beauty I knew I had to try my hand at something similar. Several rooky mistakes later (in hindsight I feel I should have started with a larger image size) this is what I have:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lEpdU.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	711.3 KB 
ID:	50454

Comments appreciated! It's obviously very much WIP. I'd particularly appreciate tips about how to better draw rivers and lakes.

I've found this victorian map of the British Empire to be a useful reference.
    Last edited by GabrielKeen; 12-10-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Looking really good so far Gabriel. I love that map of Moutarde's; I hope he gets around to finishing it some day. So far your WIP looks good, however the mountains seem a bit out of place. On a global map like this I don't think you really need mountains at all, though if you do have them, they should be rather small. Also, they seem a bit blurred. Otherwise though good job.

cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Yes, you're right, they're not really at the right scale. I quite like their 'stylized' look, though. Hm. If I were to replace them, I would want to replace them with something to give the map a bit of character.

Update: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ozEui.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	711.4 KB 
ID:	50457

Very nice! The only suggestion I might offer is to consider reducing the size of the font you're using for the country names and maneuver them so that they span the greater part of the country. Balaria is ok, but Nyserica, Noribia, and Laogia could be better centered. Praciana might look better if the word itself was rotated to the diagonal to span the longest axis of the country. Of course, this would present the challenge of making the letters fit around cities and mountains, but hey...that's when you take a break and hit the cookies and milk.

My progress so far, heeding your advice:

Name:	OB5xj.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	713.2 KB 
ID:	50470

My progress so far, where I recklessly ignore those far wiser than myself: (also including a moon)

Name:	05kcN.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	739.5 KB 
ID:	50471

I didn't really have any idea about what I was doing to create the moon, but I think I've managed a passable imitation of the appropriate style. If you know of any resources relating to this style of drawing moons, I'd love to hear about them!

I think it looks better, especially the second one. What do you think? It would be nice if Nyserica spanned the country,, but that's up to you. The slight curve you've given to the others looks very nice. I'd continue experimenting with the spacing of the letters and font size so that you could center the country names as much as possible.