Thread: Ysi: Map of the World

Map Ysi: Map of the World

Well, here.

Hope you like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stereographicalysi.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	678.4 KB 
ID:	4648  

Very, very nice. It has an absolutely excellent style. Not mine, but very authentic.

It looks very genuine - which was the goal, I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Smith View Post
    It looks very genuine - which was the goal, I assume?
    Well, the actual goal was to look cool. Genuinity is just a corollary to that.

Hehe. Well, it's definitely achieved. I have no clue how you did that. Tablet?

I like it a lot. It feels like a page from an arcane treatise or scroll. The style seems a little alien to me but that makes it feel exotic .

What did you make it in? Illustrator? I love the way you have the circular weave pattern. Your circles seem smooth and effortless.

It may sound cheesy but would you post a version without a world in the windows so we can add our own?

Maybe one without the glyphs as well?

I'd love to see the glyphs replaced with chinese characters.

Sigurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; 06-27-2008 at 08:18 AM.

Well, here's a quick rundown:

I made the original design -- including (some!) tectonics, by hand on pen and paper, in the equirectangular projection (ie. I just drew the map so that it filled a 2x1 area, with some mind for polar distortion: a straight horizontal line that looks big on the map near the poles, is actually round and kinda small. etc.).

Then I scanned it, and traced it, roughed it up with my own variant of edge-roughing (random-noise displacement Hurl in GIMP, then Blur and Treshold), because I couldn't get RobA's one to work , added mountains and rivers, etc. The raster images that result from this are basically binary in nature, for the step after the next step:

Use G.projector to transform the exported black and white raster images into whatever projection you could ever want. G.projector isn't as good as it could be, because the resolution of the images it outputs is teensy. TEENSY. Anothe projection converter program is Flex-projector, but the projections in that are not wholly maths-based (like in G.projector, I suspect), and they're all of the "big wall map" type; but you can make your own projections, and the importer-converter-exporter function makes big images. Nice.
    Both programs require the original image to be an equirectangular map of the world!

In Inkscape, I trace the black-and-white layers of the aforementioned exported raster images. If you have mountains and such, you have to do the steps before this one again, and create black-and-white rasters for those, discarding all other information. It's clearer that way.

The pictures, layouts, etc, are all either made in Inkscape, or have been traced into inkscape (like the script and numerals I've used here -- I'm a conlanger, ask me about my collection of consonants).

Then the vector image is exported, and post-processed in Ze GIMP for that papery-old-timey look.

The coloured fuzzy-on-the-inside borders of the landmasses are... Well, I had an old method, for which I made a tutorial, but now I have an awesome new method which is much more elegant and for which I need to do a tutorial so excuse me when I do not go into technicalities here.

EDIT:

And here's a stripped-down Inkscape-specific-svg file of the map.

The projection is Stereographic, one hemisphere in each circle. In G.projector, you get that by wiggling around with the settings: +-90 E/N.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Naeddyr; 06-27-2008 at 09:02 AM.

Thanks! Rep for posting the SVG. It let me rip apart the groups and see how you made that nice border. Did you create the initial ribbon circle using live path effects, or the path-along-path extension?

Thanks again!

(maybe an inkscape tutorial/how-to?)

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Thanks! Rep for posting the SVG. It let me rip apart the groups and see how you made that nice border. Did you create the initial ribbon circle using live path effects, or the path-along-path extension?

Thanks again!

(maybe an inkscape tutorial/how-to?)

-Rob A>
    It's really really really simple. The only tool I used was the Star tool. No special stuff needed, just the Star tool, and... I forget. What was it again? Oh god.

Just kidding, I... I think I remember.

I'll just nip into Inkscape.

This technique is a Naeddyr original.

And there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helixtutorial.png 
Views:	155 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	4698