Thread: New Member, hand-drawn maps.

Guild Novice

Default New Member, hand-drawn maps.

Hi everyone,

I found myself listed on this site through a google search--someone posted some work of mine back in April. I just wanted to join and get inspired by some fellow fantasy cartographers. Be patient with me--I make all of my work by hand, pen and ink style.

Here are a few links:

My website

My Map of Western Refractoria (my imaginary, autobiographical world--just the western bit, mind you.)

The Common Standards, Flags and Badges of Western Refractoria

My dungeon map for the Lost Caverns of the Queen of the Vast Nonsense.

And, finally, a link to my Kickstarter campaign, Printing the Map of Western Refractoria. (I know--Kickstart campaigns are annoying as hell. Sorry!)

I look forward to getting to know the community better!

Cheers,
    beebe

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Nice work there Jeff. We do LOVE the Hand Drawn art around here

I have to ask about all the black on the dungeon maps....All that was done by hand as well?!? Man that is a LOT of ink.

Welcome to The Guild, The Mappiest Place on the Web.

And Have some Rep for those maps
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Nice! Really enjoy your Lost Caverns and all the area names. If you don't mind me asking, what did you use for the black areas? They look really crisp and wonderfully black.

Guild Novice

Re: Lost Caverns map

Poison and Korash,

I used a Micron #1 (large pointed tip) to outline the corridors and the chambers on the map and then filled in all of the "stone" areas using a watercolor brush and regular Speedball ink. (I use Microns almost exclusively--they're relatively cheap, consistent and the quality never varies.) The drawing is about 48" x 28.5"

Welcome aboard Jeffrey. When I came across your maps several months ago, I both enjoyed being transported to my youth and the wry commentary in the maps and illustrations. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors and hope you get around to crafting some more of your unique maps.

Welcome to the Guild Jeff! I really like your pen & ink style, and your map the Western Refractoria is particularly nice. I hope you stick around and continue to contribute to the Guild.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

Thanks for the support and encouragement! I have posted a new map of my old AD&D campaign territory with details here.

(Sorry if the post is sloppy--I'm new to the forums and my internet connection at the studio is spotty on a good day.)

beebe