Thread: Can someone please help me with Software?

Guild Applicant

Default Can someone please help me with Software?

Hi, I am new to the Cartographer's Guild. This is my first post, actually. Anyway, I was wondering what (FREE) software is the best for making maps. I have tried GiMP, it is the worst software in the world. AutoREALM is okay, but it can't create very realistic looking maps.

Any suggestions? Please!

Thank you! Any help is much appreciated.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Well, I am not sure what your experience is with Gimp, but I would suggest that you have a look through the Tutorial section before writing it off completely. There are quite a few there dealing with Gimp and they all give you examples of what can be done with it. Some will shock you if you have already given up on it. for other software I would suggest that you look here for a listing of what is out there and people use to make their maps. I hope this helps.

And Welcome to The Guild, The Mappiest Place on the Web.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I guess the biggest questions are:

- What kind of maps do you want to make?
    - What style of maps do you want to make?
    - Are you artistic?
    - can you draw by hand?

And the answer to those can lead to better answer.

-Rob A>

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I guess the biggest questions are:

- What kind of maps do you want to make?
    - What style of maps do you want to make?
    - Are you artistic?
    - can you draw by hand?

And the answer to those can lead to better answer.

-Rob A>
    The same kind of map as everone else on the forum.
    Fantasy, tattered, worn that kind
    Yes I am very artistic
    And I am very skilled at drawing by hand.

Gimp if you want raster or inkscape for vector. If you have a tablet to draw with, it's should be pretty good. Or you could also use a scanner.
    (I have never tried Gimp before so I don't know how aweful it is )

What kind of map: I think the question could be : world map, regional map, city map, or other kind? Because some softwares are better than other depending what you want to do.

Since you can draw, the software doesn't really much matter - it is just a tool. Pretty much any basic paint program (gimp included) can do what you want, especially if you have a tablet - once you learn the software. Otherwise, as Azelor suggests, just scan in hand drawn work and post process/composite/colourize it in that program, but again, learning the software and how to use it is the key...

Also, when you want "realistic looking maps" do you mean something that looks like it was made historically, or something that done with ink and quill, or a more isometric/painterly map, or realistic in terms of the paper/parchment/weathering/grungy look? And "same kind of map as everone else on the forum" is a bit broad, as there are a tremendous number of styles used here. Just flip through the Cartographers' Guild - Finished Maps Thumbnails - L to get an idea of the variety....

-Rob A>

What about maptool from RPTools - Downloads or is that only for gaming?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

@Rpglover, MapTool is more for running games. It's drawing tools are pretty basic, though it lets you import textures and images so in theory you could use it to make maps. I do my maps in Photoshop or Illustrator usually and then import them into MapTool to play.

From what I understand, Gimp and Inkscape are where its at for free vector and raster art software. I just use Photoshop and Illustrator because that's what I'm used to, though I've played with Inkscape a little and found it pretty easy to pick up. There is lots of support on line to get going with those programs. I'd say give Gimp another chance!

cheers,
    Meshon