Hello,

I joined up here because I really liked many of maps I have seen. I am a Sci-Fiction / Fantasy author in search of excellent map makers. I love detailed maps with elevation elements and which look more real than fantasy. I actually have a number of maps hanging on my walls of the world because I love the look.

My problem is even after following the tutorials here I still produce really horrible maps. I have spent at least a few hundred hours trying to get to a basic level with the computer programs to little avail. I do love the vector graphic drawing tool Inkscape. But I have more luck with Paint.Net, start shooting now I know that is horrible ;^)

For the gamers out there you may remember a map pack from the late 80s called the cities of Harn. These were very detailed top quality maps that I loved. What I want is to start making a realistic world top to bottom with cities that were both organically grown and some that were planned by fully trained advanced civil engineers who knew they were looking at specific problems.

I am going to lurk a lot and learn the lingo. I look forward to meeting many of you and hope to someday be collaborating with many excellent friends here building worlds.

Thanks for reading this!

+ Leeland