Thread: Using brushes in photoshop

Default Using brushes in photoshop

Here’s a question for all the brush-using PS jockeys out there – how do you use your brushes, once you have them?

Y’see, here’s my problem. I wanted to try a new style for my Dispatches series of maps, so I drew a whole bunch of different brushes – mountains, forests, hills, cities etc. They looked good, and I eventually had them ready to use.

And then I find out that PS regards white areas as transparent, and grey as semi-transparent. So when I start using my new brushset, the brushes are overlapping one another. No problem, I think; I’ll just place each mountain on a separate layer, and erase the overlap to make it look proper.

This method works, and the results look pretty nice, but it takes soooo long to get even a modest-sized mountain range up. Adding hills and foothills slows the process even more, because the transition from mtn to hill needs to be carefully placed, then erased, then placed, then erased.

Next I thought, what about a pattern. I can then cover the whole page in mountains, or hills etc and clear the layer mask where I want them. No luck – the result looked horrendous, and still took ages.

So my question again, do you have any techniques when using brushsets to speed the process up? Or does everyone find this a slow process and I’m complaining about nothing? I’ve included a few samples to show what I mean. Thanks in advance for any tips/advice. (PS. I've just realised this should go in 'How Do I?' I'll try and move it there, but if I can't figure it out, could an administrator please correct this. Sorry for the mistake).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample 1.jpg 
Views:	1000 
Size:	806.2 KB 
ID:	50571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample 2.jpg 
Views:	624 
Size:	499.0 KB 
ID:	50572Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample 3.jpg 
Views:	670 
Size:	367.6 KB 
ID:	50573

I have exactly what you need! Photoshop: Using the Clone Stamp tool for better Brush work

Those are some beautiful mountains, by the way.
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 12-19-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Hey Mid this work for any version of PS? Been trying to figure out smart layers, so it just popped into my head if this was required LOL

Yep, it will work in any version of Photoshop with a Clone Stamp tool, but some options were added to the tool in CS3. You may not be able to store multiple samples in the tool if you're using CS2 or earlier. I'm fairly sure the Clone Stamp has been around since at least PS 5, and probably earlier.

Nice software !!! Thanks for sharing!!!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Thanks Midgard, that's a great tip. One thing I noticed, though - with a brush, you can see the outline of what you're about to paint, whereas with the clone stamp you can't -- or can you? I'm gonna look into this tool a bit more, do some research, but does anyone know if it is possible to get the outline of, say, a mountain (or whatever) with the clone stamp?

That's a good question. Unfortunately, I don't have Photoshop near to hand while I'm on vacation, so I can't answer it at this time. I'll try to remember to check it out and come back here after the new year. It seems like it's supposed to show you a translucent image of what you're about to drop, but that may have been in a different program.

I just spent a half-hour searching for the answer this to very question, finally posted a topic in the questions section... and then find this thread while it's waiting in moderation. Hah!

Thanks for the tips, Midgard - and thanks for asking the question, HoarseWhisperer. Your mountain elements kick the crap out of mine, hahah.

Thanks Midgard, that's a great tip. One thing I noticed, though - with a brush, you can see the outline of what you're about to paint, whereas with the clone stamp you can't -- or can you? I'm gonna look into this tool a bit more, do some research, but does anyone know if it is possible to get the outline of, say, a mountain (or whatever) with the clone stamp?
    If you open the clone source window (Window -> Clone Source), there's a checkbox option called "Show Overlay". You want that enabled.
    Last edited by maxnichols; 02-02-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Thanks, I forgot to check in with this topic again.

I'll try out maxnicholls suggestion. I'm finding, though, that the original method I used (which takes ages) also works best visually, or at least it suits my mountain brushes more. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, though.