View Poll Results: Vote for as many as you wish

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: *** VOTING November / December 2012 Lite Challenge - Built on a word ***

Default *** VOTING November / December 2012 Lite Challenge - Built on a word ***

The challenge was to draw a map based on one of three words (Eight, Broken, or Black)

Here is what YOU need to do.

1. Take a look at challenge entries which are convieniently assembled together in the thumbnail page here.

2. Vote for as many entries as you wish.

3. Remember to give REP for those entries that you feel deserving of it.

Good luck to everyone who took part!

VOTING ends in 4 days!
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 12-18-2012 at 01:04 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Vafildra and Octonia were the two that I liked best, hence got my votes. Each did a good job of incorporating the chosen word as an inherent characteristic. Waldronate, you proved you can take a featureless octagon and weather it til it winds up an appealing bit of terrain - nicely done. And I sure hope we see some more of your work dasneviano - the city is delightful, and given that it is so linear, a simple side view makes as much sense for a map as a plan view would.

I apologise for not whipping Okktor into even a semicomplete representation of eight-ness. It's an appealing enough project to force me to learn Inkscape that I'll start a WIP thread and continue it irregardless. The only further detail I've put on my master file is a road network, but I can't get it to output. I have a distressing tendency to start a map too small and I'm disappointed with the final level of detail. One can always crop or shrink, but blowing up is useless. So I went a little overboard on size, and my laptop is croaking. I ThOuGhT since it's vector, surely a big file and a little one would be a similar size of output, if the features were the same, right? I guess not, and now I can't tame my 40,000 x 30,000 pixel monster, even to permanently reduce the size, let alone to gen a .png. I'll stick the .svg on a machine with more RAM and see how that works out; then expect a thread in the City Map forum.

I'm not such a huge fan of the vote for multiple maps system (if I had my choice, I would suggest a ranked or instant run off system as is done throughout much of Europe.) So, I only voted for my absolute favorite (City of Vafildra) and repped the others that I really liked.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by anomiecoalition View Post
    I'm not such a huge fan of the vote for multiple maps system (if I had my choice, I would suggest a ranked or instant run off system as is done throughout much of Europe.) So, I only voted for my absolute favorite (City of Vafildra) and repped the others that I really liked.
    My preference would be for a ranked vote as well.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

We used to do a Ranked Vote at DJ. 1st choice = 5 pts, 2nd choice = 4 pts, 3rd choice =3 pts, etc. and if you have a lot of entries you can adjust the scale accordingly.

No one likes my entry? It's not simple enough like Vafildra or octogonal enough like Chamber Room or Octonia? Whipping the terrain into shapes of faces not impressive enough? You don't like the textures? The perspective distance? Or is the pseudo-alien purgatory too close to home to take?

I had planned to state the way I came up with my votes because I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to do so when I'm in the running.
    So here it is:

The Tower of Eight Turrets. by Bogie : I like this but the lack of labels I think held me back. Maybe if you hadn't done like tend to do and got moving before the last minute, . The stone layout on the top of the wall should bend with it. Still a great entry for doing it so spur of the moment.
    City of Vafildra by dasneviano : VOTED FOR I love the wash/watercolor feel to this.
    Circle of Eight - Lower Levels of Anguish by Fury : I think you are going to be really great with textures if you keep this up. My only issue with it is I have a hard time figureing out what I'm looking at. Maybe it's too busy or I'm not getting the depth perspectives right or my eyes are just too old. It does slightly remind me of one of those 3d images you stare at long enough and things pop out at you.
    City of Okktor by jbgibson : unfinished but a cool start.
    Kumediron by maackey : unfinished? Not sure but I think those are towers...they do sort of look like they might need to be censored
    Chamber Room of the 8 Worlds. by timallen : VOTED FOR. I like how clean it is and although simple it has a great rpg game feel to it.
    Octonia by waldronate : Almost voted for this but that coastline was just too much for me to accept. I love the interior of the island. If the outer edges would have been a Seawall I would have definately voted for it.

These are just the ways that I used to determine my votes. Much of them are purely my own feelings and opinions which understandable others will not agree with. I merely wanted to let you all know my thoughts and thereby the why or why not of my voting. So often in these challenges one must nitpick or find something they don't like in order to whittle down the votes.

As far as the multiple votes go I think there are a couple of things to mention.

First, the website polling software has real limits. For example, even when we would be limited to 3 votes or whatever there was no way to actually stop someone from voting for more. It was only the honor system that kept things in check.
    Second, it seems that even with open voting we have not only a clear winner but a more interesting perspective on how the other entries lined up. For example if we were only given one vote, I can say with good confidence the entry that is currently winning would still be winning. The only difference is that all the others would have zero or very few votes.
    Finally, we are not set in stone on how we do the voting so we can change things. I just don't see us spending the time to code up some fancy system...and by "us" I mean RobA
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Whoa, this is a few days later than I realized. Congrats dasneviano on a job well done!

I'll have you sporting your new silver badge here in a moment.