Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CWBP - What Happened?!

Post Map 1-3

Hey RobA,
    for your little map, you should check with dark one, maybe he will give is lands to you since he doesn't seems to have the time for it.

As for me, I'm still trying to decide on the way I'm doing the ground effect and what I will put there.

I wish to put a kind off undead only land cause by some kind of acident.

cheers,

Alu.
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Given that I hadn't realized that the roeborder ridge existed, this is the route I would suggest... (and not knowing where locations are on map 2) 30 miles overground, and another 25 miles of enlarged/dredged river. This also keeps me clear of the swamps in the south (though it kills the idea of making it navigable all the way into map 3).
    There are lots of reasons to run the canal across the ridge. If you want a purely gravity-fed system then there will be locks or the upper lake will start to drain uncontrollably. One act of sabotage in the right place leads to uncontrolled flow, lowering of lake levels, and many unhappy denizens.

Maybe the locks and pumps on the canal are driven by "mysterious forces" that turn out to be mindless undead. That's an instant tension between those that must destroy all undead and those that want the canal system to keep going).

Perhaps the canal was completed relatively recently and is generally like the Panama canal (lake at the top fed by aquaducts that divert all the rivers on each side for 50 miles). With the other rivers diverted to run the canal, the local flora and fauna now have reason to want the canal destroyed. Lots of opportunity to get those activist nature-huggers doing the wrong thing.

How about a cut across the ridge for the canal that interrupts an annual migration? The migrating whatevers (trees work well for a fantasy setting, but various sorts of herd animals work equally well) no longer have a dry crossing point along the ridge and have to try to find alternative routes, usually along the locks. Consider what would happen if a million bison ran on their annual migration and began falling into the top cut for the canal. There's a fun one for the PCs to sort out.

Don't want a cut? How about a tunnel? Maybe one that accidentally hits an underground cave system and floods it, causing a migration of nasties out from below ground.

Lots of things can happen with one powerful wizard who's not overly farsighted or with lots of nonmagical folks who are motivated purely by profit.

Blog Entries

What about an underground cave system thats big but doesn't currently go all the way through from Roe Lake to the main as yet unnamed lake. You could sail small boats in so far and then have an underground set of locks with maybe a cavernous route from various places near to the Roeborder Ridge Fort down to it. That would make for an interesting reason to go subterranean. There would be no end of adventures protecting ships and dredging up loot from lost ones at the bottom of underground cave systems. A real magnet for intelligent monsters or pirates planning ways to scuttle boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    What about an underground cave system thats big but doesn't currently go all the way through from Roe Lake to the main as yet unnamed lake. You could sail small boats in so far and then have an underground set of locks with maybe a cavernous route from various places near to the Roeborder Ridge Fort down to it. That would make for an interesting reason to go subterranean. There would be no end of adventures protecting ships and dredging up loot from lost ones at the bottom of underground cave systems. A real magnet for intelligent monsters or pirates planning ways to scuttle boats.
    Oooo ooo oooh! Underground canal's SOOO sounds like a great idea!!! It takes the whole transport system idea and makes it so much cooler. Perhaps multiple smaller above ground lakes surrounded by mountains that act as entrances to the underground parts. This would require guarding both above and below the surface, perhaps even some real cool merchant stops along the way(dwarven outpost with ore critical for nation X's security forces, etc) both above and below ground.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Having a subterranean drainage goes a long way to explaining why there is no surface connection. Hooray for karstic terrains! Or a small fleet of purple worms for the D&D types.

I know what happened to me, but that is just "real life" demanding more attention than it is worth. I'll be back soon enough, just have a few more things to clear up. I also have a lot more written up for the Wiki, but I realized I'd rather wait til I have it all smoothed out rather than constantly editing between them after the fact.

You'll see me again, and more of Luwath and Orvaelos in the near future.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Post Pantheon for the CWBP?

Was wondering if you folks have given any thought to the human pantheon(s)? There is nothing in the WIKI (that I could find), and I have seen almost no mention of deities, pantheons, etc.other than the Seldarine for the Elves in any of the posts.

I have a reasonably well-developed pantheon for my campaign world (see the link in my signature), that I would be more than willing to "donate" (for lack of a better term) to the project if you're interested in it. Obviously you'd be free to modify it to whatever suits your needs for the project.

Actually I'd be more than willing to "donate" anything currently on my site that isn't copyrighted for use in the project.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I would think that would be most welcome if your able to put a CC license on it.

The reason why I haven't done much in the pantheon area is because I haven't thought much about the people and characters in the area I am doing. As time goes on people will be more and more important until we have some characters, heavy hitters and so on and then the religion and politics, tribes & influences will start to evolve and develop. I guess I am very map-centric and less character driven.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I would think that would be most welcome if your able to put a CC license on it.
    Not quite sure what you mean by putting a "CC" license on it.

I wouldn't think there would be any licensing, copyright, trademark, etc. issues involved in using it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Great idea Steel General. I think the CWBP would really benefit from the kind donation of a few gods. We are currently a fairly godless group of mappers who, as Redrobes accurately put it, tend to be somewhat map-centric in our approach. Feel free to jump into the wiki and add your stuff. Bear in mind there are three supervising editors who may adapt or edit some of your contributions.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast