Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 06][City 01] Arborea

The city outline is based on Montepulciano in Italy (if you want beautiful walled cities, northern Italy is the place to go). Attached is the real map with the entrances and exits, which I may or may not follow depending on how the internal structure of the city begins to shape out. The map is drawn with vector software (drawplus), so the towers are dead easy to move around the walls. Similarly the river is easily moved too as it's vector based - but a big bridge sounds quite cool, so I might leave the river where it is.

The information I'm trying to get across (unsuccessfully so far) is that the city is built on a slope which is high in the south and almost at ground level to the north. I think the surrounding mountain conveys that but it's really difficult to graphically depict the slope in the city itself without making a more isometric type view (which comes with all its own horrors of construction).

Also, I'm finding it difficult to give the impression that some of the buildings are higher than others. Varying the length of the drop shadow and inner shadow helps a bit, but the result is still not striking enough to be obvious.

Sigurd, not sure what you mean by 'food prep' areas, but I'll probably dot some farmland around the city. From what I can make out in Neon's CWBP map, it's in the middle of a forest, so I may have to rework the background a bit.

This is my first go at mapping a city and I'm learning a lot as I'm going through it. One of the most difficult aspects, I find is to have the form of the buildings or collection of buildings suggest a function. Without this, I fear that the city will just look like random lego blocks with no underlying human intent and no layers of history written upon it. I think it's time I looked at a few books...

Ravs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monte.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	310.1 KB 
ID:	4145  

Here's the next WIP. I don't usually own to listening to music while I'm working, but I couldn't get Rainbow's 'Temple of the King' out of my head...so I played it, and it helped.

Name:	upload 6 june.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	4153  

Damn you ravells! You took away the jousting/soccer/football field on the top of the cliff... I was so looking forward to the "plague wars" re-enactments.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Didn't fit in with the song....what can I say?

What field on top of the cliff?
    This one... I love Snag-It for screen caps.....

Joe

Name:	Cliff Top Field.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	4154  
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Here is the next WIP, I think (subject to C&Cs) just the labelling and the interminable fiddling to do and then I'll call it finished.

Name:	25 June render.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	4.64 MB 
ID:	4604  

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Here is the next WIP, I think (subject to C&Cs) just the labelling and the interminable fiddling to do and then I'll call it finished.

I like the look much better with the lake/loch/whatever thingy! I still miss my cliff top football field though...

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Lookin really nice, except for the word Cittie (unless that is intentional). Love the texture of the city streets and the buildings look like they've been chiseled out of stone, really nice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast