Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: still trying FT + Photoshop

Which textures did you use? I got some of my own but I'm still very new to using patterns and brushes other than defaults.

Guild Adept

Once again, it's Pasis. You can find the texture in this WIP thread (page 4, also including another useful tutorial on page 3)
    However, most of the colours you see here, except for the highest mountains, actually come from the super-imposition of the FT generated climate map. Many other useful textures may be scavenged around the forum if you search for "terrains" "terrain textures" or something like that.

In my opinion you are doing a great job and you have your own style. Stick with and don't try to make it look exactly same as others. Regarding the textures, I liked the first mountain texture a lot and it had very natural looking snow in the peaks. I usually end up having too uniform snow that doesn't look as natural. If you are eager to have one more try texturing the mountains, you could paint on top of that original texture with low opacity brush and paint only to the areas that needs enhancement.
    You had a challenge with image flattening when exporting from PS to JPG. One way to come over it is to create few copies of your heightmap and set one of the new copies to "multiply" and the other one to "soft light". This way you get more contrast to your mountains.
    You were also worried about the flat areas not having enough details. I have couple of bumpmaps I could attach later when I get to my home computer. You could mod them to create some additional details.

I didn't realize Pasis was "the North Kingdom" but I've already thanked and repped him (I think more than once now actually). As he says though, you have a slightly different style and your mountains feanaaro are truly amazing. Don't be so modest, there are similiarities and differences (especially in the textures) or at least from what I can deduce. I had trouble getting a similiar look as the forests you both have (Pasis' tutorial version and Feanaaro's map). I'm not even at the mountain stage yet as I'm trying to assemble all the textures as per the tutorial.

Both of you thanks (although Pasis can find that thanks in his own posts too). Also thank you for pointing out where Pasis has posted his textures, and thank you Pasis for posting them.... I must have skipped that page a dozen times (4th page) because I combed through everything and ended up using the internet links to find some (with amazing luck I found a great mountain range, desert, and water, but no decent forests).

Here you have a few heightmaps I promised earlier. Use them if you want variaton to your low lands.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	605 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	50960   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	1156 
Size:	723.7 KB 
ID:	50961  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

How did you do those?

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    How did you do those?
    I used a software called geocontrol.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I know you have been already very generious with your input but would be a small tut about how to do mountains in the program of your choice? I am very intereted in such technics.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    I know you have been already very generious with your input but would be a small tut about how to do mountains in the program of your choice? I am very intereted in such technics.
    There is a tut created by a fellow mapper Jykke : http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...ert-river.html
    And here is a link to a quick guide I have made some time ago: http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...ick-guide.html

Guild Adept

Pasis, I cannot triple the relief layers as you suggest, that would grind my system to an alt.
    Plus, I am quite sure that that is not the problem, since I have the other map made with the same settings which does not produce the same problem when exporting.
    There must be something in photoshop settings eluding me.

(edited for spelling)
    Last edited by feanaaro; 01-11-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast