Thread: Surroundings of a fallen empire

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Wip Surroundings of a fallen empire

So, I began sketching a new map… I’ll be posting the progress here

First I made a rough sketch of the continent I’ll be drawing. I intend it to cover most of a hemisphere, so the mountains and rivers and all that will be shrunk to more realistic sizes. I'm not sure on the orientation, but I think it'll be this way.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skiss.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	50614

Then I spent a long time trying to decide what kind of projection to use. In the end I chose one I liked the look of, and it is for hemispheres so it suits this project. Being a cartography noob, I thought it looked easy to draw as well. It was hard…
    But I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. I only have the non-inked grid so far, but I’ll show it. Here it is:

Name:	Halvklot1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	50615

Now some backstory. Basically this is a planet that was hit by a massive meteor, which caused the spin to change and lock it to always show the same side to it’s sun. It’s got a really strong magnetic field to protect it from the constant radiation, and it’s probably a bit further away from the sun than the Earth is. There are some civilizations in the dusk/dawn areas. I’ll be mapping the dayside, since the nightside is uncharted. It also makes a more interesting map, as the nightside would be pitch black

If anyone else wants to draw this kind of projection (is it called Wulff net? I think so) by hand, I came up with two equations to determine at what points the longitudes intersect the equator. There’s probably a better way, as this one requires you to draw the arcs freehand, but if no one finds it helpful it might at least be amusing how weirdly I did this. The equations are:

(r-36y)/9=x
    (1/21)x=y

where r is the radius of the map and x the distance from the center to the first intersection. The distance to the next is then x+y, to the third it’s x+2y, and so on. Also note that it only works in maps where the lines are 10 degrees apart. I tried to make a general version, but… failed. Could make another try if anyone is interested.

Anyway, that was just a side note. Probably useless. Next I’ll start drawing the actual map

Thanks for looking!

The concept of this world sounds really interesting!
    Looking forward to get to see more of it!

Sorry for taking so long! Here's where I'm at now:

Name:	Halvklot2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	51100

Maybe it's to fuzzy to see, but if you find anything I should change before inking it, I'd be glad to hear it!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I don't think your planet grid is correct. Latitudes lines shouldn't be so curved at the poles...

They can be, since it's a global projection in 2d.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Hmm not really convinced about that projection in 2d so but well it's a matter of taste I guess

Well, the only tools I used were a ruler and a protractor to plot points, so the lines are not perfect, but I am pretty sure they should have that curve. Take a look at this old map with the same projection:
    File:Novissima totius tarrarum orbis tabula, Auctore Hugonis Allardi.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
    There are many like it on Wikimedia Commons and the longitudes and latitudes all look like this.

Haha, I'm so slow at this, it's almost thread necromancy to update

The map is now inked, and the picture is quite a bit bigger (and clearer) so it should be easier to see.

Name:	Halvklot3.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	51567

Still not sure what to do with the space around the map, I just know I want something purely decorative there. My ideas are to either draw a few scenes or places from the world, or some ancient Greece-inspired statues that sort of hold up the map. I think I'll make some more sketches.