Thread: Newbie, and not ashamed to admit it!

Default Newbie, and not ashamed to admit it!

Hello, all!

I am the Reverend Bruce Perry (though I'm not so formal as to have anyone call me anything but Bruce). I've been fascinated with maps my entire life. Atlases, geographical, political, historical maps...even down to city maps and floorplans. And as a Dungeons & Dragons enthusiast, of course I was always drawn to the adventure maps--I could never get enough of those! And that is what brings me to why I've come here.

I'm currently involved in slowly breathing life into a fantasy project that has been with me for over two decades. Circumstances--either external or internal--kept me from focusing where and when I needed to for far too long, and I have finally buckled down and have made the promise to myself to see this project through to the end. A fantasy saga awaits to be committed to paper. But as I am detail-oriented, a term that doesn't even begin to describe how obsessive I am with my world, I need to have everything in place before the story begins. Or at least a significant portion of the detail.

Needless to say, I have mapped out my world. Well, at least in the most basic sense of the word. What I would like to do while here is make a few contacts, befriend a few people who are enthusiasts like myself, and perhaps learn a thing or two. I want to learn how to flesh out my world and give it texture and character. The cast of my story has been itching to get out of my head for many years, and I want very much to put them in a world that's as detailed as they are.

This is a journey I'm looking forward to, and I hope to pick up some companions along the way.
    -Bruce

Are you really a Reverend? (and welcome by the way!)

I am, indeed! Ordained through the Universal Life Church (exactly six years ago today, in fact).

And thank you!

Hello there Bruce! I'm pretty new here myself, and I can't but see that you and I seem to share some mutual interests!

I hope that you will find new friends and companions here, and I would also like to say; Welcome!

Welcome to the Guild Reverend Bruce! I would recommend beginning by spending some time in the tutorials section where you will find tons of helpful walk-throughs on how to make fantasy maps in various styles, using various forms of software. Work your way through a few of these, and post WIPs of your maps. This will enable for you to both learn new techniques, get exposure to different styles, and refine your skills. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh