Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mystara: The Grand Duchy of Karameikos

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thorf's Avatar

Map Mystara: The Grand Duchy of Karameikos

This is part of my project to map the world of Mystara. My first task has been producing high quality replicas of the original hex maps. Each area is often covered by a number of different maps, each of which is slightly different. The final goal is to produce a totally consistent set of maps at various scales incorporating all of the details and information from each source.

I find that the process of recreating each map makes me aware of the inconsistencies in a way that studying them just can't compete with. Plus remaking them is rather fun.

First, here are the replicas for the original 8 mile per hex map that came in GAZ1 The Grand Duchy of Karameikos. The first map uses my own colour scheme, which I will keep consistent in all my maps, while the second is designed to be as close to the colours of the original printed map as possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gaz1-karameikos-8.png 
Views:	2855 
Size:	326.6 KB 
ID:	4098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gaz1-karameikos-8-original-colours.png 
Views:	1692 
Size:	325.5 KB 
ID:	4099  

Info Some notes on how I made these maps

I made both maps in Adobe Illustrator CS2, using custom-designed symbols and brushes, and layers for each different element on the map.

I recreated the symbols from the original art, using mostly the pencil and shape tools. Having them as vector art means it's easy to resize, which is rather useful. Each symbol is made up of a coloured hexagon with various lines and shapes placed on top of it.

The actual map is made up of a grid of hexagon shapes (dark grey at 80% transparency) overlaid on top of a corresponding grid of blank symbols (made up of the same hex shape but with no fill or stroke).

Originally when I started mapping in Illustrator 8, I found that placing the hexes together was very time-consuming, and at that time there were no symbols - every hex was just a copy of the original art. So now I have the grid pre-made, and draw the map by choosing some hexes and changing their symbol in the symbol palette.

I can provide more details if anyone is interested.

Map Updated Map - The Grand Duchy of Karameikos

Next, here is the latest version of my updated map.

You can see that I am only including the country in question. This is actually my biggest problem so far: how to include neighbouring countries without having to duplicate the same elements in every map featuring those parts. The reason I want to avoid duplication is that if I find any mistakes, they would then have to be corrected in all the files with the relevant part, as opposed to just one file.

Changing the updated map to show the countries around about is a big priority for me.

You can see the makeup of the map in the PDF file, which I believe also includes the layers.

I would love to have some advice on my techniques, and I'm always open to any ideas for how to improve my maps.

Edit: You can see that this image is an older version, with the brighter palette that I initially used. The current version of the palette is actually the very first image in this thread. It's more subdued and easier on the eyes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	karameikos-8.png 
Views:	533 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	4100   karameikos-8.pdf  
    Last edited by Thorf; 06-03-2008 at 09:23 AM.

I don't usually like hex style maps but these are the nicest example I've seen.

Good luck with this. It looks really good!

Sigurd

I'm interested to see your symbols and CS2 magic
    Last edited by Sigurd; 06-02-2008 at 11:25 PM.

Link

I should have mentioned: you can get my mapping kit here:

http://mystara.thorf.co.uk/mappingcs2.zip

Very nice! とてもすきです。 I do have a small soft spot for Mystara but I'm not that knowledgeable about the world (just what I know from X1 Isle of Dread and a few of the Gazeteers).
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

X1!!! one of the first adventures I ever ran as a DM ... think it was the first one I ran... love that advenuture...

Thorf, great maps... they do justice to the the maps of old... though I'll probably never map with hexes I do try to pick up every hint I can of illustrator mapping ... I'm still getting the hang of it, but so far it rocks for mapping... So please feel free to throw up some tutorials in the tutorials section ... I forsee that I will be using it quite a bit for VTT mapping almost as much as PS

the maps are really

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thorf View Post
    You can see that I am only including the country in question. This is actually my biggest problem so far: how to include neighbouring countries without having to duplicate the same elements in every map featuring those parts. The reason I want to avoid duplication is that if I find any mistakes, they would then have to be corrected in all the files with the relevant part, as opposed to just one file.
    Another man desperately in need of looking at my ViewingDale I think...

Ahh, yes X1 - Isle of Dread, or Basic D&D's answer to Let's do a King Kong Themed Adventure. I so loved that adventure.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Mount Savage, MD, USA, North America, America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group.

Thorf, those are awesome. just a little critque, I looked at my physical copies and on the old map the three tree forest is slightly darker, the sandy hills have just a touch of green, and to my eyes the swamp is a bit more purple than grey. but anyways that doesn't matter, there still awesome. keep it up, and y'know you need to do Republic of Darokin soon, one of my fav's. thanx man, here to help.
    "The Enemy's Gate Is Down" - Ender Wiggen, Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card

Software Used- ME v16, My Hands 1.0, My Brain

All Maps are either Copyright J.L.Odom and Bardic Fire Studios or under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License (Note it applies to all countries even though it's United States)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast