Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map thievery alert!!

Default Map thievery alert!!

Every cartographer on this site should check out the 1000+ RPG maps this guy has collected and posted. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the rights to all of them (if any at all).

https://plus.google.com/photos/11347...3Fbanner%3Dpwa

It'd be quicker to report him to Google for copyright violation. They're very stern about chastising others for copyright violation.

It really looks like his inspiration folder got away from him, but they probably shouldn't be there without permission. I saw only one of mine there pulled from here.

I think Waldonrate is right about his inspiration folder. Still, it's not really right to leave all that up there. Of course, I'm probably just mad that I didn't see any of mine up there, LOL.

Guess it's back to the drawing board for me
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

While I support the whole copyright issue, I also feel a little slighted that none of my maps made it to his top 1000 list.
    Ironically, most of my maps posted on Dundjinni and rpgMapshare were all posted as "Personal and Commercial" use.

It also should be pointed out that he's not selling or taking credit for these maps and most are such small size they are
    not useful for anything but basic viewing.

Yes, I don't think the guy is doing anything bad really, just sharing his inspiration folder or favourite maps he has amassed. Perhaps he should have asked permission from authors first, but he may have only intended a few people to see his collection. The only thing that irks me is there are some maps I don't recognise in interesting styles and there's no link back to the author so I can't check out what other stuff they have made.

If he was taking credit or trying to do anything commercial with them that would be a different matter entirely.

On a side note and I dunno about the rest of you but it is err... testimony to my map obsession that I have seen most of those before or recognise the places they depict. And know the names of many of the cartographers. There was even a Dun Darach map too!

Psychologists will be officially diagnosing us all with Cartophillia soon, I've no doubt.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Steff Worthington posted this on the guys profile on the 18th of Dec. "Chase Wallace. Close down all the copyright images in your folders or I will take action (including my copyright material in your RPG MAPS)." Chase has plenty of other albums and I am sure that some of those have copyright material in them...

On a side not, I did notice quite a few of these maps were derived from RobA's Gimp regional tut....
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    The only thing that irks me is there are some maps I don't recognise in interesting styles and there's no link back to the author so I can't check out what other stuff they have made.
    I noticed that but I just clicked the image and then did a google lookup of the map name, clicked on images, and viola I could find most of them. You can usually use the image name and look it up that way as well. Interestingly, the ones I clicked on to check out all were from here So that just goes to show how impressive the skills around here are in my opinion....well, other than that Jaxilon guy who didn't get his maps ripped off, LOL.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

The date on the album was January 2010, if I recall, and that may be why some of you didn't get a map up there. While trying to date my Turtellaria map, I was sad to see that at least some (maybe a lot) of older stuff here on CG seems to be disconnected (broken links, some stuff doesn't show on searches).

Yeah, I wonder when or IF that linkage issue will be resolved. It's the first time I've seen something like it happen.

And thinking about 2010, I didn't have anything at the time as I was still learning how to use GIMP.

It's amazing what a couple of years of practice can do, isn't it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast