Thread: Land Form Test

Wip Land Form Test

Hi. This is a land form test (one of many I have been messing with). Asides from the color I think I have gotten close with the hills and mountain forms. Does it look right?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LandForm001.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	439.9 KB 
ID:	50656

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looks pretty great to me. I'd darken the rivers a bit so they stand out more, but other than that... nice.

Also, your avatar rocks.

I agree with Diamond; the land (and especially the mountain ranges) look great, but either the land, or the rivers/sea ought to be much darker.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Adept

The technique for mountains looks good, but their shape seems unnatural to me.

Thanks! Yes the rivers need a lot more work. I have seen a tutorial here for making tapered rivers so I'm going to look into that.

I think I will try this again and place the rivers and lakes in first as I have found It is easier to place more realistic land form into it than trying to force rivers into the land form.

Been having a hard time finding a land color I like so I will try darkening the sea instead.

And Yes half way through the mountain I was aware of the strange shape. It reminded me more of a fossilised fish more than a mountain.

Ok. Here is a new start. A little more conservative in the colors and land forms. I think the rivers may benefit from a small amount of blurring along with the sharp edge of the shore line.

The colors seem all right but may need some tweaking. Not sure if I like them this dark (But I have been staring it a long time).

Name:	LandForm002.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	50664

I like the second effort much more than the first one. The mountains have visible height differences and less-defined spines down the center. The coastlines could probably use a little more roughness in places, especially with that many rivers. I would also recommend some variation in the coloring (darker and lighter greens, for example). If you're doing the shading on a different layer than the underlying color, then it should be fairly simple to add the color variation.

Wip

Ok. I think in the last test I was too bold in the land form size. So this time I have tried a style representing lower heights, that is under 1000 ft.
    Trying to use a lighter color and a softer touch so the hills are rather indistinct. Having a softer look.
    Trying to match Google maps terrain was way too difficult. The real world is just too complicated to be able to do this to my original conception.
    Next I am experimenting with greater heights forms in size and color. Hopefully I can get them to match the style.

Name:	LandForm003.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	50933