Thread: My RPG Map

Wip My RPG Map

First, I want to thank the many threads I've seen so far. I've picked up several tips and learned quite a bit. I've been using Autorealm and was originally going for a Sepia-toned map, but I've ben impressed by the faded, low-saturation maps and am changing towards that. I've included below my map from before joining and afterward, to show initial progress. Autorealm starts lagging with too many objects, so I've cut out the trees at the moment; I'm also starting the "less is better" method and thinning out some of the mountains and hills. My plan was to have it outlined and general features put in and save to .bmp and use GIMP to edit it, but I've found some major limitations to Autorealm and may need to just work in GIMP. Anything you've got for comments, I'll appreciate.

Before joining:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pre CG RPG.png 
Views:	454 
Size:	668.4 KB 
ID:	50659

After joining

Name:	RPG.png 
Views:	227 
Size:	579.8 KB 
ID:	50660

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks like a nice start, but you do have some serious river issues. Rivers, as a general rule, do not split up. Do look at some real-world maps and pay special attention to how rivers flow in relation to the physical terrain, and look up drainage systems and drainage basins on Wikipedia (and don't be afraid to browse through anything related to Hydrology, it's a vast subject but you really only need some basics to draw convincing rivers). Hope this helps

PS: Noticed this is your second post - Welcome to the Guild!!

I'd like to thank those who pointed out my misbehaving rivers. They have been thoroughly spanked and are now flowing correctly.

Name:	RPG.png 
Views:	251 
Size:	663.9 KB 
ID:	50765

Guild Novice

Nice work! I don't know anything about the Autorealm program you're talking about, so I don't know what abilities and limitations it may possess, but my primary suggestion would be to maybe add a pixel or two of thickness to your land boundaries. Just my personal preference, but the single pixel line makes it look kind of wispy and spidery.

Also, I notice that you seem to have removed the forests entirely. If this is just due to it being a WIP, ignore this comment, but try bringing some forests back. I love big forested regions on a map. They have a sense of mystery to them.

Yes, those rivers are much better behaved now. As for other advice - I assume Autorealms only gives one mountain symbol, one hill symbol, and so forth? The overall style is supposed to be hand- drawn, but the repeated symbols sit there whispering "but I'm really generated!" If you don't get a choice then just shrug and move on - it still gives you pretty good looking output .

If you're dissatisfied with the way the trees work now, take a look at Ramah's TreeThing.

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Yes, those rivers are much better behaved now. As for other advice - I assume Autorealms only gives one mountain symbol, one hill symbol, and so forth? The overall style is supposed to be hand- drawn, but the repeated symbols sit there whispering "but I'm really generated!" If you don't get a choice then just shrug and move on - it still gives you pretty good looking output .

If you're dissatisfied with the way the trees work now, take a look at Ramah's TreeThing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrum View Post
    Nice work! I don't know anything about the Autorealm program you're talking about, so I don't know what abilities and limitations it may possess, but my primary suggestion would be to maybe add a pixel or two of thickness to your land boundaries. Just my personal preference, but the single pixel line makes it look kind of wispy and spidery.

Also, I notice that you seem to have removed the forests entirely. If this is just due to it being a WIP, ignore this comment, but try bringing some forests back. I love big forested regions on a map. They have a sense of mystery to them.
    Thanks for the input. I've added the forests back and also noticed that same thing about the mountains. There are actually four to use, so I'm going back and changing them up a bit. I do have a problem,though. My map is flat out too big for Autorealm. The number of objects are making it really lag, and, the size is so large, I can't properly save at a resolution I like, so, I'm using MS Paint, and so far, it's working pretty well; my only complaint is that I can't draw a fractal line with it. I have a lot of the Gimp tutorials, but with classes having started back, my brain is mush already after the first week.

Name:	RPG 1.png 
Views:	516 
Size:	974.2 KB 
ID:	51130