Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dungon mapping in Illustrator

Wip Dungon mapping in Illustrator

This is my next project. I'm going to make some gigantic dungeon maps and thought I'd try to make it in Illustrator to keep down the file sizes.

As a side effect I'm hoping to be able to make encounter maps from the same file (as it will hopefully will be fully scalable).

Below is a rough draft. Comments welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeon001.jpg 
Views:	924 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	50670

Name:	dungeon002.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	50671
    Last edited by Carnifex; 12-25-2012 at 12:20 PM.

I've never really dabbled with anything in Illustrator, mostly done stuff in Photoshop. Keeping the file sizes down would be a massive plus and I can imagine some wicked ass colossal maps and even sub-terrain cities done in illustrator.

The style I use for dungeon mapping via PC though doesn't seem to lend itself to Illus; just been playing with it. How are you approaching it?
    Last edited by Axiie; 12-25-2012 at 07:36 PM.

I like the style. If there's anyway to fade your rock texture instead of having a straight border, I think it'd look slightly better?
    M

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    I like the style. If there's anyway to fade your rock texture instead of having a straight border, I think it'd look slightly better?
    M
    I have an idea to fade the rock texture. I'll try it later.
    Here's an update - 150dpi resolution. Added strairs and doors. They are made as symbols so I can add them quickly and also update them all at once. Will now start to build a vector symbol library. Anyone knows a good place to find or buy nice vector objects?

Name:	dungeon003.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	310.5 KB 
ID:	50677

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking good Carnifex - haven't mapped much in Illustrator either - I used it for making the road map for my city of Breakwater - then post work in Photoshop after. I like the idea of using symbols for mapping elements as well
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    looking good Carnifex - haven't mapped much in Illustrator either - I used it for making the road map for my city of Breakwater - then post work in Photoshop after. I like the idea of using symbols for mapping elements as well
    Thanks!
    A small update with faded rock texture. A little bit warmer backgroumd color. 300dpi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeon005.jpg 
Views:	828 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	50678  

With the rock texture, see if you can start the fading a bit closer to to the walls and allow for more opacity closer in, but ending in at the same distance from the outer edge as you do now. In my head that style helps frame it a bit more and gives a more rustic appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Axiie View Post
    With the rock texture, see if you can start the fading a bit closer to to the walls and allow for more opacity closer in, but ending in at the same distance from the outer edge as you do now. In my head that style helps frame it a bit more and gives a more rustic appearance.
    Thanks for your input but I'm not sure I will correct this at the moment - the rock texture is now a border and the fading is actually from the inside as well. I haven't figured out any other way to solve it right now.
    Last edited by Carnifex; 12-27-2012 at 08:11 AM.

I really think this is more than fading to give it a more random look so it doesn't look like a border. I'm not familiar with illustrator, but if you gave it a jagged border with multiple ins and outs then use the earth/rock patter fill with a fade I think this would give a nice look. just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Vellum View Post
    I really think this is more than fading to give it a more random look so it doesn't look like a border. I'm not familiar with illustrator, but if you gave it a jagged border with multiple ins and outs then use the earth/rock patter fill with a fade I think this would give a nice look. just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt LOL
    I'll try out some different thinks I have up my sleeve later.
    Here are some furniture I drew today in Illustrator (comments welcome):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	furniture_vector.jpg 
Views:	1046 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	50772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	furniture_vector_02.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	50773  
    Last edited by Carnifex; 12-29-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast