Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Revita map

Guild Novice

Wip WIP - Revita map

Here is a world-map I'm working on at present time. I had started working on the rivers, however, PS crashed. So,here is the mountain update. It's changed a lot from what I originally posted and I've read around the forum a bit more now. I think I finally found something I like as far as mountains go but I'm not certain, it's kind of an adaptation of the Ascension Atlas style. I haven't touched the water or coastlines yet.

I'm looking for feedback at this point, of most any sort. Critique is most appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revita WIP map 2.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	612.8 KB 
ID:	50721  

It looks good to me and your poles seem correct for the projection.

What is the original resolution of the image though? At this sort of scale I wouldn't think rivers would even be visible on it so I don't know if you need to do those. Also it seems very verdant - I would imagine there would be a few more arid areas depending on the weather/wind patterns.

Hopefully someone will come along and give you a more informed explanation of the latter.

Guild Novice

Thank you! The original resolution of the map is 9000x6116px at 300 DPI - so it's quite large up close. I've attached a close-up screenshot with this post.
    As far as the lush areas, I'm not well learned with climates, though I had looked at something called the 'climate cookbook'(which helped some).

I was planning on doing another projection aside from the cylindrical sort - the Van dir Grinten projection is what I leaned toward. But, that's another horse, for another rodeo right now.
    I'll see what I can find as far as wind and weather patterns go, though. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revita WIP map 3.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	50722

Guild Novice

Very nice looking work! The only thing I can critique on that immediately comes to mind is that some of the coast of your eastern continent (assuming standard "north is up") looks a little... fuzzy? I know you said you haven't really touched the coast lines yet, but none of the rest of your coast lines seem to look like that one, so I just thought I'd mention it.

The mountains look pretty plausible to me. Most are toward edges of landmasses, which matches Earthly mountain uplift processes (as theorized). They could use some more finely divided crinklyness, if that makes sense - as-drawn they are massive monolithic chunks, instead of ranges of ridges and valleys.

What's your purpose? That'll partly determine what details you should include.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Thrum View Post
    Very nice looking work! The only thing I can critique on that immediately comes to mind is that some of the coast of your eastern continent (assuming standard "north is up") looks a little... fuzzy? I know you said you haven't really touched the coast lines yet, but none of the rest of your coast lines seem to look like that one, so I just thought I'd mention it.
    Thank you for pointing that out, I didn't even notice it until after I saw your post.

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    The mountains look pretty plausible to me. Most are toward edges of landmasses, which matches Earthly mountain uplift processes (as theorized). They could use some more finely divided crinklyness, if that makes sense - as-drawn they are massive monolithic chunks, instead of ranges of ridges and valleys.

What's your purpose? That'll partly determine what details you should include.
    Now that you mention it I see what you mean about the mountains just being blob-chunks. My next post will have my update.
    As per purpose, it's a story/RPG map. I've just started working on some of the rivers now.

Guild Novice

Here is some more progress with the advice from Jbgi about the mountains + Thrum regarding the coastlines.

You can tell which island I haven't gotten to yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revita WIP map 4 - full.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	51152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revita WIP map 4 - zoom 1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	51153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revita WIP map 4 - zoom 2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	51154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revita wip map 4 - zoom 3.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	51155  
    Last edited by Renacido; 01-11-2013 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Forgot something, oop.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

I absolutely love your mountains! Could you tell me how you did them, or point me to a tutorial or something? Woaw!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

The mountain part has been made with a very perfect look I just love the way it look.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    I absolutely love your mountains! Could you tell me how you did them, or point me to a tutorial or something? Woaw!
    Thank you. The mountains are an adaptation of http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...photoshop.html with lots of fiddling around. I work in PS - and use some different beveling settings then what they . Inner-bevel - soft brush, low opacity(30 - 60%) then I just build up the area where I want to put a mountain and squiggle away. I do some touch-up painting in addition to the bevel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast