Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Tropan: The Definitive Version

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Thank you, guys.

And what's this? Landmass-changin'! The more I thought about the overall feel of Tropan, its cultures, races, history, the more I came to think it's actually a far-future Mars, or at least a planet that bears a passing resemblance to a far-future Mars. So, back to the drawing board. I'm starting to experiment with mountains a bit here. I'm quite pleased with how these have turned out, actually, although I wish there was a script or something you could load into photoshop to make the angles at which the brush turns smoother, without so much gap in the turns. Or maybe there is and I just don't know about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TropanLarge3.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	3.56 MB 
ID:	52782  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Hmm Diamond, sorry but for now I'm not really convincing by those mountains but the idea is very interesting. But I'm sure you work on these mountains will turn out nice at the end

I like the new land shapes, there's more land than before

I agree with Max on the mountains. They don't really seem like mountains to me.

Can't wait for the next update

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

again? i think the title 'definitive version' is slipping away :p

i've always liked martian-esque landmasses and this one is nice. the mountain elevations are interesting and a good start though i think you might wand to add colours to them or add heights and/or spot-heights

also, though I'm not sure if its due to an aesthetical choice or not (and changing it now requires relabelling everything) though I'd move the map about 30 degrees --> to get the division between hemispheres to fall through the Dreaming sea, rather than divide the Kasser landmass in two (this will also reduce distortion around the edges, making chosing nation borders easier as the distortion can be misleading otherwise). its one thing I couldn't do on my map due to the high land/sea proportion - anywhere i chose would have ended up with lots of land arounc the map borders.
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 03-11-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BookOwl View Post
    I like the new land shapes, there's more land than before

I agree with Max on the mountains. They don't really seem like mountains to me.

Can't wait for the next update
    I do think that this way of doing mountains on this kind of map is a nice idea. Beside the gap issue Vorrophaiah just just told it right. Some colors and maybe some kind of additionnal height would probably help to make them better.

The former land shape I found more interesting and beautiful, but you shouldn't base your work on my single opinion and taste. You should do what feels right to you and the map will become good.

@V: re landmass - I know. I gotta stop. As for the hemispheric division, I did it that way to keep Noctiland centered with the least distortion; Kassar is pretty unimportant anyway; nothing but desert and a few scattered city-states on the coast, so it's not a huge deal if there's distortion there.

@Max: Mountains aren't done yet; I'm going to add further parallel lines (they're not really exact elevation; more an artistic representation of rough elevation).

There will be colors added, not just on the mountains but in the borders too. I just need to wait until all the labeling is done and I can merge all the text layers; things will be FAR too big otherwise.

I'm pretty confident in the way you'll deal with those mountains in the end

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

looking forward to seeing more progress on this... (hopefully it retains the same shape though :p)

I had to take a break from it for a while to retain my sanity, but I haven't forgotten about it!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456