Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thysperia

Can you give me an example? Or a link with an example? Thanks.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flatrabbit View Post
    Can you give me an example? Or a link with an example? Thanks.
    Try these: Tutorials by Djekspek on deviantART

Blog Entries

The symbols are pretty, but those lines in the background make no sense at all. It looks like you confused rhumb lines with a polar azimuthal graticule. The compass is also a bit impractical as it doesn't have any sharp points or lines other than at north. That makes it much harder to figure out the directions accurately, which is the whole point of a compass rose.

I also agree with Clercon about the "floating" look. It might be that white halo around the land, or maybe that the texture doesn't seem to match up between the land and the water, as if they were drawn on different pieces of paper or parchment and then glued together.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    The compass is also a bit impractical as it doesn't have any sharp points or lines other than at north. That makes it much harder to figure out the directions accurately, which is the whole point of a compass rose.
    It's a compass rose. If you know North, you can figure out the other directions. If you can't, you shouldn't be on the sea or in possession of an expensive map. Take your A back to the shire. I have a watch without numbers but I can still tell time.

Just sayin.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Somehow, Flatrabbit seems to have a point about the compass. But well, I agreed about the floating look too. Still a very nice map!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flatrabbit View Post
    It's a compass rose. If you know North, you can figure out the other directions. If you can't, you shouldn't be on the sea or in possession of an expensive map. Take your A back to the shire. I have a watch without numbers but I can still tell time.

Just sayin.
    A compass rose is essentially a specialized and carefully aligned protractor built into the map. It's there to allow a navigator to figure out how directions on the map relate to real world compass bearings PRECISELY, not just in a vague, "east is over there" sort of way. That's also why you don't generally see them on modern maps except for navigational charts: compass bearings aren't important for most maps, and many maps don't even preserve bearings. anyway. Compass roses are not just pretty decorations, they have a particular function and that function is the reason they look the way they do.

The compass and the lines are decorative elements. The main purpose of the map was to try a new style and not a correct navigational map. But I keep this in mind for other maps.

The white around the map shall symbolize flat waters. For me it's not floating, but I know that my eye is accustomed to this kind of style.

Props to you man! I'll be using this map in a very private trial D&D game that I'll be DMing. This site is amazing for maps of any kind, and yours stood out as PERFECT to fill in with content!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleopolitus View Post
    Props to you man! I'll be using this map in a very private trial D&D game that I'll be DMing. This site is amazing for maps of any kind, and yours stood out as PERFECT to fill in with content!
    Have fun with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12