Thread: How do i make an awesome RPG style map out of this

Help How do i make an awesome RPG style map out of this

Hello,

I am playing a game called Minecraft, and a small group of individual and I are trying to make an immersive RPG world within the game. I have a map overview with contours and such from a world editting tool, and now i want to make it look beautifull in a style like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50742d1356736288-christmas-present-commission-map-christmas-map.jpg 
Views:	5319 
Size:	862.1 KB 
ID:	50814

Are there [freeware] tools which i can use to accomplish this or does this takes years of photoshopping skill?

Kind Regards,

it's not quite like the reference image, but i think i got quite far knowing i had virtually zero photoshop experience, there are some outstanding tutorials on this forum!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8BOf9.jpg 
Views:	606 
Size:	256.5 KB 
ID:	50863

An excellent start indeed.
    The tutorials here are probably your best bet. Some of this is deteremined by how good of an artist you are but even if you can't draw a lick you can get brushes from several sources that will allow you to pretty much stamp out a map. I know there are several members here who have posted brushes that are free to use.

The other thing, if you want the help, is to post up a Work in progress thread in one of the appropriate threads on this site. That will allow members to offer up suggestions on what you can do to make it better. Often times these wip threads end of up being the source of mini-tutorials on how to do specific things in photoshop or gimp, whatever.

So, if you want to keep working on this post it up in the Regional threads area and we'll see what we can do to help. Mind you it's been quite over the holidays but I'm pretty sure folks will be getting back into the swing of things now that it's a new year.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I think it looks great! You could use some brightness maybe to make it more clear.