Thread: Gormenghast/Castle-city type map examples

Professional Artist

Default Gormenghast/Castle-city type map examples

Hi all,
    I've got a city I'd like to map that's basically an enormous castle - walls running everywhere, with parts of the city above, within, and around the walls. I need a few example maps of how this might be depicted. Can anyone point me towards any example of maps showing something similar?

Thanks for your help,
    -Rob

Guild Adept

is a Gormenghast-type thing, or is it Gormenghast? I would wholeheartedly vote for the latter!

I can't really think of any examples. I suppose it is just a more elaborate fortified town in a way. I imagine it'd be a concentric castle type affair with many rings of defence, many enclosed courtyards (full of buildings) and towers everywhere.

I agree with Larb's comment. For examples of that kind of thing, perhaps your best bet is to look at Asia - China's Forbidden City, Japan's Himeji Castle, and/or India's Red Fort. I read Gormenghast years ago, and I think of it being more chaotic (and European) than those examples, but hopefully they'll be helpful anyway.

Also, this link (if it works) is a Google Image result for 'Topkapi Palace': http://www.bestourism.com/img/items/...alace_3357.jpg

Seems to fit Larb's description. Nice idea, by the way, Rob.

This wikipedia entry seems to equate Gormenghast castle to other types of structures - Gormenghast (castle) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I think it will be very involved and difficult for people to understand to produce such a mutli layered environment such as that.
    There aren't many real structures that even come close to the Gormenghast craziness.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

If you could make a map out of one of Ian Miller's cities you might come close. Actually he may have done one of Gormenghast castle now that I think it. (... trip to google...) Sure, there we go.

I think one of the problems with mapping a fortified city that is so clustered and compacted is that almost all you would see is a sea of roofs.
    Nice find Meshon. He does some incredible castles.

Thank you*informed me.
    Last edited by Hydeyulse; 11-11-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Maybe have a look at old Vienna City-maps where you have some zones with walls. Just add a few castles...
    John Stockdale - City Maps - 1800 - Anthrocivitas