Thread: Photoshop Layer Style Confusion

Guild Novice

Question Photoshop Layer Style Confusion

I am new to map making and new to the Guild so I apologize in advance for what may be a very obvious question.

I started making a map and was making progress but have run into some trouble in creating a border. I have read over a couple of the tutorials I found here and have been trying to add in inner glow to my borders using Layer Style in Photoshop. My problem is that after creating a new layer for the layer style when I try I try to apply the inner glow to a selected area on the layer the inner glow appears on the perimeter of the layer. Now, I wouldn't be bothering you if I was just unable to get the inner glow where I needed it, but I was able to get the inner glow to apply on two selected areas on two different layers - I just don't know how. Now I am trying to apply an inner glow on a third selected area, but can't seem to get it to work, the inner glow keeps appearing on the perimeter of the layer. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Hi, and welcome. Could you post some screenshots of what's going on (and your layer stack)? It would probably help us help diagnose your problem. I'm not following your description 100%.
    M

Guild Novice

Default Photoshop Layer Style Confusion - Screen shots

Hope this is what you had in mind:

Screen shot 1 is where I am now - Trying to get the inner glow effect in the selected area:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen shot 1 copy.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	587.3 KB 
ID:	51677

Screen shot 2 is where I started making layer copies for the borders:

Name:	screen shot 2 copy.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	538.9 KB 
ID:	51678

Screen shot 3 is my base layer:

Name:	screen shot 3 copy.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	525.9 KB 
ID:	51680

Thanks for any help and the quick reply.
    Last edited by descalon; 01-30-2013 at 02:00 AM.

A layer style that applies to edges (glow, stroke, bevel) detects the edge between opaque and transparent pixels. If your entire layer is opaque, then the style will be applied to the entire layer. The difference between the layer that you're working on and the other two is the layer masks. Those masks are creating a new edge around the opaque pixels, and the layer style is following that. If you simply click the Mask button while you have your selection, you'll find the layer style doing what you want it to do.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice

Thank you for the help! Your solution was clear and worked perfectly. When I finish up the map I will post it. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for sharing!!!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map