Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phagrea, in progress

Guild Apprentice

Default Phagrea, in progress

I submit for you critique/suggestions, Phagrea.
    Using Arsheesh's most excellent tutorial, this is where I am at with my map, since I figure it's time to move from the tutorial page...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Texture.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	50975
    I down-adjusted the land bumps to smooth the non-mountains out a bit as they looked a bit...wonky. I'm going to be doing the climate layers and land shadowing steps next.
    This is an upgrade to my lousy hand drawn maps of the Palladium world, with an addition from an excellent map I saw online. I'd always wanted to pull the area that was the western empire away from the land and had actually traced the original map and made adjustments that way. Now I can do it digitally! I'm pretty excited about this, especially after Arsheesh pointed out where I'd made my error(s) and I got the image you see. Thanks again, Arsheesh!
    Last edited by kaelin; 01-04-2013 at 02:17 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's pretty impressive. I always hated the look of the Palladium world because it seemed too unnaturally round and page-filling. I like what you've done with it; nothing too extreme, just enough to make it look realistic. Nice work!

Guild Apprentice

Thank you, very much!

Guild Apprentice

I've added some desert and arctic regions. Not too much as the 30th parallel equivalent runs just above the small archipelago in the south and the claw formation in the north is essentially where Hudson Bay would be in North America.

Name:	TextureA.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	453.4 KB 
ID:	51038

Looking good so far Kaelin. You know what's ironic? I've just been commissioned by a Paladium fan to redo the world map in the Eriond style. Life is full of little quirks ain't it?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice

Heh, that is rather ironic. I'd love to see it when you have it finished. I've had a lot of fun working on this and hope to have another view added soon. Work seems to have a way of cutting into the fun things in life...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaelin View Post
    Work seems to have a way of cutting into the fun things in life...
    Ain't that the truth. I need to get a map-making grant from the government.

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Oh, my god! Look at this! Look at this! Drop what you are doing, and come and just stare at this!

You know how to move an aging man's soul. A sacred touch, this one has. Unleash the Kraken that is your talent. May its oceans heave. May its mountains slumber in glorious antiquity, though at present, they are in need of more work.

The texture is sweet to the taste. Oh, I want to see this one populated with detail, etched with intricacies of every sort. Why do those mountain ranges sport a g-string of snow, though? Very amateurish, that aspect of this map is. It is not powdered sugar - it is snow. Therefore, bequeath this world the bigger flakes that it deserves. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. Where are its poles? Has it none? All the more important, then, for the snow to be treated to a grander role.

The texture is magnificent. Very appetizing. It leaves me wanting more.

Guild Apprentice

The map is of a continent, so unfortunately, the pole of the north is nearest, the southern, more distant. The land mass is roughly 2/3 the size of North America, if that helps give an idea of its size.
    I have to agree, there should be more snow in the mountain regions and shall work dilligently to enlist the services of Jack Frost to appease.
    I appreciate the praise! Unfortunately, I've not been able to work on this in the last few days but shall be hard at work over the weekend and should have something up then.

Guild Apprentice

Okay, so redid the snow. Next will be labeling things, I think.

Name:	Phagrea Base.png 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	51216

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast