Thread: Old - Medieval style of village map - (guidance)

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Old - Medieval style of village map - (guidance)

Hello,
    I want to make some medieval village maps not more than 20 - 40 buildings each.
    Most important the thing that i want most is these maps to have a hand made dark age - medieval feeling.
    Most of the tutorials that i have seen is about cities in large scale and the feeling is modern so it is not my prefered choice.

As for my skill, I am not very experianced "cartographer". I have made some attempts to draw a region map for my campaign and i think it is decent. ( http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...tml#post196216 )

The thing that i am asking is if you know any such map for inspiration and very important if there is a tutorial for such map.

If anyone can give me some advice it would be great.

Thanks

I posted a town map tutorial on the tutorials forum. It is probably best for villages and small towns although you can do cities too. Someone even managed to adapt it to GIMP I believe.

Your village layout and choice of structures is mostly going to influence the feel of dark age (I assume sub-roman - viking age to early medieval?)

So we are talking (for England anyway) mainly wooden structures that are thatched or roofed with wooden shingles. The more Saxon and Norse inspired villages will have a great hall at the heart of some kind. The only stone building will likely be a religious one. That sorta thing. In terms of drawing them, the roof styles will be fairly simple with a single bisecting line.

The further east (and slightly south) you go from England, the more complex the dark age architectural story gets.
    Last edited by Larb; 01-04-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Yusaku Asano Can you post up something you like style wise. May help you get some response help. Do you have a game setting in mind? More info is always useful to the reader to help ya out.

Thank you for the replies!
    Larb got it right. My setting is based in a dark ages celtic-viking - early medieval feeling. It is a low fantasy, gritty with pseudo historical elements in it.
    As an inspiration is also the 2nd edition dnd Birthright setting. Actually in the Birthright book Blood Enemies: Abominations of Cerilia much of the interior art has the style that i would like for my campaign (especially the art of Alyce Bucker Cosart, Adrian Bourne and Susan Van Camp). I can scan some images and posted here if you would like.

ps. Larb, I downloaded your tutorial and i will give it a try

edit, ps2: Hopefully helping you a bit, here is the first village i want to draw. It is celtic like village built on a big rock and surrounded by a swamp. It is isolated and fairly small (80 ppl in 20 buildings). Here is some drawing which i use as inspiration:
    http://asahisuperdry.deviantart.com/...lage-255006593
    http://caladerart.com/env_celtvillage.htm
    Last edited by Yusaku Asano; 01-05-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Larb, i tried to start today your tutorial for my first village. The one that is build on the top of the rock. Actually i imagining it to be built like Meteora http://images.fanpop.com/images/imag...5_1024_768.jpg. Ofc instead of a monastery there are various huts like the link in the above post.
    My question is how you would make a rock like that in the context of your tutorial? Also if i want to have three - four level on the top of rock how this could drawn?

Any help would be really usefull.