Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elyden: the Hinterlands of the East W.I.P

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, man. That's exactly what I've been compiling for my own con-world over the last several years, though yours looks much prettier.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Wow, man. That's exactly what I've been compiling for my own con-world over the last several years, though yours looks much prettier.
    Dido, I have a 57 page index just like this for my world of Eriond, but this is "much" prettier than my word doc. This really inspires me to want to do more with it though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post

I originally wanted to develop a wiki (mostly for my own use) though got discouraged by the mount of hyperlinking involved (as it's a living document, I'm constantly revising and editing and removing parts so if I ever go down the wiki-route it'll have to be after i finish it.
    Yeah there is a lot of hyperlinking involved, but I've got to say, I'm a big fan of the wiki system, it's really helped me keep track of my campaign setting related info, as well as to give my players a basic reference to my world. Have you looked at the Obsidian Portal? While I haven't done anything with my site in the last year or so, here's a link to my own OP wiki to give you an idea of what you can do at the portal.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Yeah there is a lot of hyperlinking involved, but I've got to say, I'm a big fan of the wiki system, it's really helped me keep track of my campaign setting related info, as well as to give my players a basic reference to my world. Have you looked at the Obsidian Portal? While I haven't done anything with my site in the last year or so, here's a link to my own OP wiki to give you an idea of what you can do at the portal.
    that's very nicely put together. I'd love something like that for my own world, though don't really have the money/time to show someone what I want (as i cant really do that stuff myself. though call me old-school, but i do prefer the look and feel of a book over a website (though in your case if its a campaign setting, it is certainly the best way of getting the info to players)

so, a bit of an update on the 'Hinterlands' map (the word hinterlands being a bit of a misnomer here as it covers an area far larger than that of the empire that created the map itself...). I say bit of an update, but i basically wen't back to the drawing board and started over as i wasn't happy with the layout of the previous version (largely the fact that i was repeating so many regions in the north-west of the map from the previous map. so i repositioned the continents and came up with this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEW - hinterland of the east.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	4.47 MB 
ID:	51112

Nice encyclopedia thing. I'm like you in that I prefer the look of a book but what can you do. I think your effort to get the book feel on your finished pages is quite nice. Now you just need to find a booklet app or something that allows you to turn pages like a book.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice map here. Thing that disturbs me is that it seems pixellated on many places. Is that because of a poor resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Nice map here. Thing that disturbs me is that it seems pixellated on many places. Is that because of a poor resolution?
    that's just due to the severe reduction in image size i have to do to get the thing to conform to the site's 4.7 mb upload limit. the full thing is 41" x 61" and is 300dpi. the uploaded JPG is about 75dpi..

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Nice encyclopedia thing. I'm like you in that I prefer the look of a book but what can you do. I think your effort to get the book feel on your finished pages is quite nice. Now you just need to find a booklet app or something that allows you to turn pages like a book.
    ooh i do like that...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Yea that's what I thought...Maybe you'd add some split parts?

That's… quite a lot of pixels. 300 dpi is rather excessive for even a standard poster print, and that's large even by poster standards. Are you aiming merely to give yourself a lot of flexibility for the future, or is your intended presentation format a huge poster that viewers can view at less than arm's length?

Not that I object to lots of pixels, but it seems like it would be cumbersome to work with. Anyway, you might get better results from your rescale if you use a different filter. If you're using Photoshop, go to Edit > Preferences > General (Ctrl-K). In the Image Interpolation drop-down, try Bicubic Sharper. Recent versions of Photoshop conveniently give you hints as to which filter is best for certain tasks. It's usually best to leave it at Bicubic for general work, but if you're getting artifacts from a rescale, it can be worthwhile to try the others. Just don't forget to change it back when you're done.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast