Thread: Xaviars Star Wars Maps

Post Xaviars Star Wars Maps

Moin Moin folks,

here are two of three of my battlemaps for Star Wars. They are 32x22 fields large (so you couldn't use them for DCI tournaments).
    I use TheGimp, have borrow some Objects from RPG Mapshare.com and named holocron (but i don't know the correct URL).

Jedi Temple
    Geonosis

So i'll listen to your critiques.

Excellent job with the shadows on that Geonosis map! I like that you've paid attention to the height of the objects.

I'm not wild about the red in the Jedi Temple. That color doesn't say "peaceful meditation" to me at all. Maybe if you brought the lightness down until it was a rich burgundy. That might swallow your gridlines, though, unless you simply inverted them over the dark areas.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Moin Moin!

First let me say how pleasing it is to have more SF mapping going on at the Guild. That already is a big bonus for me!

I really like the way you have used the shadow of the roof in the Geonosis map - nice touch.

I don't make battlemaps, but from last month's competition (check out the monthly challenge subforum) I know that there a lot of battlemap experts here, so I'll let them advise. From a purely artistic / architectural point of view (not that I am either an artist or an architect), I really like both maps, but perhaps the following could use a second look?

The orange flooring in the Jedi Temple jars (jar-jars?) with the rest of the map imo - it's really bright! I'm not sure what the circles joined by the two lines in the main room are supposed to be, if if they are a forcefield then perhaps brightening up the colours here, making them a little transparent and giving them a neon glow might make for a nice effect.

Some of the walls are really thin, maybe too thin?

These are both lovely maps, thanks for posting!