Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Map Request

Default Fantasy Map Request

Hello, thanks for reading this!

I am attempting to map out a world for a story, but I can't start the story until I have a fully fleshed out map to look at. At the moment, I have the general shape and size of the continent, but I am a novice in such matters and would greatly appreciate the input of whoever would be kind enough to take on my request.

I know where a dozen key places will be, but am unsure the logistics of 'creating a world' on a map. Basically I don't know the BEST places to place rives, lakes, small villages/towns, tiny bridges, some mountains/hills, etc. And scope is lost on me. The bottom of what i foolishly threw together on gimp after an hour seems too tiny compared to other parts, etc.

Pm me for the basic layout of the map I've created so far.

Examples of types of map styles I'd love:
    The Khanate of Montray by ~Chanimur on deviantART
    http://www.vampires.com/wordpress/wp...4287.w3x-1.jpg
    Kargath Map 2.0 by ~Wally-D-Feed on deviantART
    http://art.ngfiles.com/images/75/aut...antasy-map.jpg

Anyways, I feel as though I've explained this horribly. All of the cities/keeps and towns etc. will have names. Most already do/I have written down. A ton don't. If you're interested let me know! I don't have five posts though so I can't use the pm system on the site. But I'll check this topic =)

If you are an epic map maker and want to create the map of my world for me that would be wonderful! Even if some of the places don't have names, you could just leave markers there, etc. and I'd name them later and that could be added in.

I titled the prefix [other] because I am extremely poor and not sure I could afford a map. But I could offer 800 points on deviant art, if you use deviant art!
    Last edited by gategod; 01-13-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Hi-

You post was caught in moderation because of the number of links. I have approved it now. Good luck with your request!

-Rob A>
    Thanks! =)

---

And to all the awesome people who read this: I think I might have overthought this a bit. Perhaps I need not include any town/villages. Will people still 'assume' there will be dozens if not hundreds around if they are not listed?
    Last edited by gategod; 01-07-2013 at 04:07 AM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

You could just indicate the biggest Cities on the World map and create smaller Cities in the fly while Gaming or?

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    You could just indicate the biggest Cities on the World map and create smaller Cities in the fly while Gaming or?
    It's just gonna be a template for me to look at while plotting a novel.

Still searching!

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gategod View Post
    Still searching!
    How large shall the map be?

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    That's where my inability to know such things comes in. Even as I look at the current outline of the map I have, I think some parts of it can be cut or shrunk, it would depend on the artist's view of what I have so far.

-Stalks your deviant art page-

This has to be the greatest map ever created by anyone, ever: Points of light by ~Sapiento on deviantART I wish my map could be this size, but it's clearly double the size north/south in my random sketches. Except my map wouldn't need all the round images of creatures/explanations of places.

9 major cities/castles. A few port cities. A desert stronghold. 2 pyramids. A Volcano. Tons of forests/mountains. // Then the question is: is that enough, or should I also add a dozen small keeps along the way that I have planned out and named.

This volcano, pyramids, and Sukram building would be perfect for the volcano I have up north and the desert keep I have in Bay Map by ~Sapiento on deviantART

This is the last fitzing around I did in my photoshop trial: http://i46.tinypic.com/11bsnmh.png

I think the RIGHT side of the map could use some trimming away, the middle-top right.

All the fortifications I placed are ridiculous. I am trying to come up with a happy-medium somewhere where the viewer can know/see more places/towns/keeps exist without cluttering the map.

Any ideas? Is the map I've plotted out to large for one image. Maybe I need two? One north one south? Maybe this map can be cut to bits and still feel like it has a large scope?

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    I posted a reply this morning. I think I included too many links and it is now in moderation. It should appear sometime today =)

Thanks for replying! Your maps are incredible! I included some examples from them that I found breathtaking, that may be the holdup with the post. Didn't want to think I was not reading this topic, I am!
    Last edited by gategod; 01-11-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Hii very good maps. Welcome to the forum...
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast