Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Provinces of Selen - Fantasy map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Map Provinces of Selen - Fantasy map

I thus continue my exploration of Lands Of Aern, this time with the mapping of the Provinces of Selen. Some Differents things,some similar things... I didn't have a lot of time to create my own mountain brushes this time I used Quabbe nice set
    It's still a mix between hand-drawn and photoshop work and its size is 2126x2953 px.

For those who want to take a journey to the Lands of Aern, remember that you can find the world map here, the Kingdom of Ereborn here and the harbour of Sevindel here... Others maps to come soon?

I hope you'll like it. As usual, comments are always appreciated

* Updated*

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Selen.jpg 
Views:	1956 
Size:	4.20 MB 
ID:	51072
    Last edited by - Max -; 01-07-2013 at 05:43 AM.

I really like this.

Highlights: compass rose, mountains, colour palette. [EDIT: just read the bit about using Quabbe's mountains, so well done Quabbe, too]

Special mention for the cross-hatched texture and the variation on coastal waves. Good work, and have some rep.

Blog Entries

The hand drawn look is really nice, but the obviously computer generated labels and the white halos around them kind of clash with it. The rivers also have a "too fine" look that doesn't match with the rest.

Also the rumb lines don't match up between the two compasses. Notice that the second compass doesn't have a line going north from it, but rather has one going north by northwest.

Well, it is pretty. I wonder if there are any tweaks that would let you do away with the outer glow on labels and symbols?

You need to flip the shading on your rivers. The mountain shadows are due to light from east northeast . If that's true for the rivers they're sticking up rather than being eroded into the landscape. :-)

Super sexy.

@ The hoarsewhisperer: Thanks for the rep
    @ Flatrabbit : Thanks
    @Hail-Etlik and jbgibson : Thanks for the comments guys. I changed the fonts, removed the outer glow from cities icons and labels and made it less obvious on areas labels. I also changed rivers (lines and shadows ) and fixed the second compass. Updated above.

Max another nice one!! I was looking at this last night and it inspired me to start another bedtime sketch . Good Job
    Last edited by Vellum; 01-07-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks Vellum, I just saw your sketch and like it!

This is fantastic Max! I really like the hatch-mark effect, and your mountains were very nicely shaded. Unfortunately I can't rep you at the moment, gotta spread the love.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks much Arsheesh and no worry I can wait

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast