Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hand drawn regional diversion

Wip hand drawn regional diversion

A little bedtime diversion here, I was getting frustrated on targan's rut so I needed a break This was just a doodle for a region, nothing in particular to a story line, although I named this Swift Fish Larb, LOL . Ink and some pencil shading, comments welcome, enjoy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sf 1-7-2013.jpg 
Views:	613 
Size:	283.7 KB 
ID:	51073

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Pretty one! Im looking forward to see what you're doing with it...

Nice. Out of interest, how long did it take you?

THW might be hard to say 4 hours, little less than 5 hrs the way it stands. did the pencil rough in 15 minutes or so, then a couple hours last night and a couple this morning with the inkwork.

That's a nice result for 5 hours work. I used to be able to do that, but I'm out of practice, now. Might try dusting down some old hand-drawn stuff and getting back into the drawing habit.

I'm not happy with the way the town with the tower symbol or the one to the lower left are stylized with the hatch. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make these larger towns look a little nicer at this scale? THW ah looking at your stuff you should be back in the groove in about 5 minutes, break those pencils out!!

Looking sweet Vellum!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Added more bits and pieces of the mountain ranges and woodlands, bout an 1 hour while drinking morning coffee . More swamp things to come, Oh yea! LOL. Open to suggestions for techniques, as usual this is a learning experience for me, so whatever I can do to improve I'm up for it. I may do the text thing in PS to try some text on paths.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SF 1-9-2013.jpg 
Views:	660 
Size:	347.2 KB 
ID:	51118

Vellum, I've got two suggestions for alternatives to the cross-hatching over those towns. First, you could try what I did on Darenko and Reptinse - i.e. a simplified street layout (in which case I'd suggest letting the streets be white and the blocks black, but I don't know if this would work on a hand-drawn map. The other possibility is a stippled style. I developed a style years ago which I think might look good on this. The example below is from my original experiments.

Hope those suggestions give you some ideas. Also that compass rose is intriguing. It will look great once it's inked in.

THW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stippled town map style.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	51123  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast